The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

1976 Cutlass 'S' AKA: Greenie

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:09 PM

1976 Cutlass 'S' AKA: Greenie

Just squeeked thru the door today - thanks guys!

Here's a few pics of my new love: my green '76 Cutlass 'S' - I had one similar to it when I was 18 (about 30-something+ years ago).

Enjoy!

- Brad (from hoosier land)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
029.jpg (109.2 KB, 96 views)
010.jpg (65.5 KB, 84 views)
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:23 AM

Hey Brad,

Glad to see you again! Nice car, it's definitely green.
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:47 AM

Thanks Kelvin!

It's been a busy summer. I've been holding off driving the Cutlass as I've been waiting to install a new 'Fusick's' fiberglass insulation blanket under the hood before driving her much. The old one was not so perfect so I took it out and then it got hot out and then I got so busy with my work etc.. I don't want to cook the paint on the hood so she's not been driven since the last cool morning we had in May (kids wanted me to drive them to school in the Cutlass their last day of school).

Anyhow's looking forward to meeting more guys who share the same affection I have for classic Oldsmobiles!

- Brad
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Nice car. The green looks great.
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:14 AM

You're welcome Brad!

I can totally relate to being busy. My priorities shifted last September/October and my resto has been on hold since then. No biggie though, things are starting to level off and I hope to get in the groove again this summer.

You're Cutlass looks very solid and well kept. The interior looks great as well.

So how did you discover your "new love"? Is it stock? Do you have any plans for it?

Sorry for throwing several questions your way. Guess it's the excitement from seeing another '73-'77 era car ('76 in your case).
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:52 PM

Actually, I first saw this car about three years ago for sale on the net in about 2010. It reminded me of my old lime green '76 Cutlass I had owned for over a decade when I was in high school. Anyhow, I saw it and sighed and turned the page and thought I better not even think of it! Besides, finances were tight and I simply could not even think of buying it at the time.

Time passed and the 1st owner ended up keeping it for his son for a few years. His son got tired of it and so they traded it in for something else. The 2nd owner bought it simply for a resell opportunity and then I saw it again via Craigslist (another long story I'll discuss later). I thought, "That puppy looks familiar!" And the more I thought about it I couldn't get it out of my head - I HAD TO BUY IT!!! And so I did! LoL!

So, now you know my story in a nut shell. I'm back in the saddle again! Yi-Hhaa!
Old June 18th, 2013, 06:47 AM

Question for the veterans in this hobby: if the stikers has paint on it does that mean the car's been repainted or not (or door ding repaired)? I've heard comments saying different both ways.

I've found a project I may consider for a future endeavor but want to know more about what's factory vs. not? Some say the striker got painted at the factory and some say not. I do not believe the striker had paint on it when it was assembled at the factory. I believe it was assembled onto the car after the car doors were painted and had no paint on it. Curious what others may say here...
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:13 PM

Well, since nobody's answering this question I'll answer for everyone here...

- I asked an old-timer bodyman here at our local Ford dealer and he said if the striker's been painted - "it's a repainted auto!" So, if you see a car that another party is selling and they say, "Oh, they did that at the factory (painted the striker)." It's not true! I've heard numerous sellers say the painted striker was done as so at the factory and had to scratch my head whenever I heard this because I've seen some unpainted cars and knew they didn't have painted strikers.

So, hey, maybe ya learned something new here?
Old June 27th, 2013, 01:51 PM

Thats a nice ride! This body style can be pretty ugly stock but its one of those cars that with the right set of wheels, lowered a bit, and just some general minor modifications actually bring out the body style and they look very nice! The mid to late 70s Novas are the same way.

Of course there are a few cars from that era that are just plain ugly no matter how hard you try, haha!
Old June 27th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Runner

Its definitely not my favorite body style, but I'm a sucker for green and when they appear in good shape like yours, it looks SHARP!
Old June 27th, 2013, 06:53 PM

Good looking Olds.
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 76-cutlass
Well, since nobody's answering this question I'll answer for everyone here...

- I asked an old-timer bodyman here at our local Ford dealer and he said if the striker's been painted - "it's a repainted auto!" So, if you see a car that another party is selling and they say, "Oh, they did that at the factory (painted the striker)." It's not true! I've heard numerous sellers say the painted striker was done as so at the factory and had to scratch my head whenever I heard this because I've seen some unpainted cars and knew they didn't have painted strikers.

So, hey, maybe ya learned something new here?
Hmmm...

Not certain what GM Plants/Divisions or Fisher did or did not do on a consistent basis, but my car (Arlington plant) still retains the factory painted door jambs and strikers. If I recall correctly, the '77 Fisher Body Service Manual says "touch-up any exposed unpainted surface on lock pillar" after making striker adjustments.

Although it doesn't say "paint" the striker, I'd venture to say (based on what I've seen and read) the door strikers were factory painted. I should also mention, I'm referring to the '77 Cutlass door strikers.

Last edited by macrover; December 26th, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Welcome aboard
Old July 9th, 2014, 01:37 PM

Brad,
I'm in northeast Indiana near fort wayne. Are you close?
Nice car!

Last edited by Randyb; July 9th, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old July 9th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Hookers under Hood

Nice 76, Do you have any plans for it ? I like the 76-77 body styles as well.
Cheers Eric
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:09 PM
72 Olds CS

when we were kids my buddy had the same color combo cutlass as yours. the car being a few years old in new england it had the all to common wood plank for a rear bumper (the orignials seemed to rot off fast). anyway we were doing some offroading and i was behind him in my truck when he kinda launched off a small hill, well that plank bottomed out on the ground and splintered and a giant 4 foot or so section flew up in the air spinning end for end, eventually landing with the pointed end sticking in the ground...lol good times !!

your car looks nice and brought up some fond memories....MOF I was in the exact same area as that incident today, only now unfortunately its a housing development
Old July 9th, 2014, 06:35 PM

Here's a few pics of my new love: my green '76 Cutlass 'S' - I had one similar to it when I was 18 (about 30-something+ years ago).

Enjoy!

That car is really sharp. I remember when it was for sale. I wanted it myself.
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:39 PM

Thanks guys! I'm near the Buck Creek area here in Indiana. The car is still "GREEN" as ever! Got a few more pics I'll try and post here soon when I find them.
Old July 10th, 2014, 04:16 AM

I disagree with the painted striker comment. Ford strikers are not painted (even my '03 crown vic) but every '70's era gm car I've owned (and i've had a few) had painted strikers. (And most of them were original paint). Anyway I myself really like '73/'77 a body's, in fact I've had my '74 Malibu for twenty years (this month)

Last edited by dynchel; July 10th, 2014 at 04:20 AM. Reason: added detail
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:36 AM

~ so I've gathered as per the comments here. BUT, I have another Cutlass with only 13K miles and it's striker is indeed "UNPAINTED!" AND, I also spoke with an autobody tech a few years ago and he himself said, "Unpainted strikers prove it's original paint etc.." So, believe what you want. I've come to better trust the unpainted strikers vs. the painted ones.

I guess maybe they can go either way and be original???
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:47 AM

More pics...

Pics were taken this spring! Got the Cutlass out to blow out the cobwebs after a long winter of hibernation!
Attached Images
76-green-cutlass2.jpg (79.7 KB, 15 views)
76-green Cutlass.jpg (70.3 KB, 20 views)
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:41 PM

~ so I've gathered as per the comments here. BUT, I have another Cutlass with only 13K miles and it's striker is indeed "UNPAINTED!" AND, I also spoke with an autobody tech a few years ago and he himself said, "Unpainted strikers prove it's original paint etc.." So, believe what you want. I've come to better trust the unpainted strikers vs. the painted ones.

I guess maybe they can go either way and be original???
I thought I'd chime in on this debate over the painted vs unpainted strikers on the '73-'77 GM "A" bodies; including the Cutlass.

I've crawled in, around and over dozens upon dozens of the various models within this group and I can assure you that strikers did come from the factory painted. My own all-original '77 Monte is a prime example. But, that's not to say some cars didn't come with unpainted strikers. For, as anybody who's been around these cars for any length of time knows, GM was less than consistent with their production methods. So, for some Ford body man or autobody tech to make the broad statement that no cars came with painted strikers is not only erroneous, but irresponsible by casting a shadow of doubt on any Seller who makes the claim that their car is, in fact, original right down to the painted strikers.

By the way...that's a sweet looking Cutlass you purchased!
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Ces

Enjoy!

Nice Cutlass! Those mid to late seventies Cutties are beefy...
Enjoy!