The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

Got about 5 minutes down the road...

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2014, 02:22 PM

Got about 5 minutes down the road...

Hello all, my name is Jeff and I'm new to this site. I recently purchased my first Oldsmobile and I've got a quick story about it as well as a few questions. In 1966 my grandfather purchased a 1967 model Ninety Eight LS. He was the original owner of this car up until about 5 years ago when he finally sold it. I always kinda regretted now being able to be the person that bought that car. About three weeks ago I was on craigslist looking around for an old car and what did I find? His exact car. I went to take a look at it and in general, it was still in great condition. The owner had however made a few changes. The put 24" chrome wheels on it as well as installing a sub system in the trunk. They also installed air shocks on the car and it rides VERY rough now.

Prior to selling it she decided to remove the sub system and for some reason decided to remove the original carpet from the trunk along with it. She also "lost" the spare tire and original floor mats.

Well on inspection and during the test drive the car seemed fine. However, whoever bought the chrome rims from the car is the person that put the original tires back on and apparently they weren't the most intelligent of people. (Though some of the events leading up to this didn't make it such a surprise.) Well I bought the car and got roughly 5 minutes down the road when while on the interstate ON a bridge in the middle of rush hour my front drivers tire/wheel comes completely off the car and I land on the break drum. Being on a bridge I have no choice but to drive about 1/4 mile to get off the bridge and to a safe spot where I can get out to inspect the damage.

The car landed on the tire itself and pretty much destroyed the drivers fender/wheel well/very minor damage to the door. All 5 studs were still there meaning that there were NO lug nuts installed on that tire. I mean, who thinks to take the hub caps off to check for lugs nuts before they buy a car?? (Well.. maybe me from now on) And the kicker is that after I got the car home I found a ziplock baggie in the car with 8 lug nuts in it! All four other tires were fine.

I've been having difficulty finding a fender for the car so far but I did come a cross a post stating that *any* '67 Ninety Eight or 88 model front fender will work. Is this true regardless as to if it's a convertible or 2 door? If so, my car has the optional cornering lights. Are they the same size/location as the other models of Ninety Eight and 88?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any leads on parts will be even better. I'm getting very lucky that my insurance company has actually agreed to cover the damage.

On a side note, I'm probably the only 23 year old around that owns a car like this.

Thanks,
Jeff

pyfB7S4.jpg

Last edited by Jeff K.; May 15th, 2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Adding picture.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, quite the frightening story. I don't see how you got as far as you did with no lug nuts. I'm also glad that the story will end well. I'm not sure on the fenders, but others will chime in that know more about your car.

Post some pictures of the car when you get a chance.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:41 PM

I did add one picture of the car to my post. It still as the fake chrome stickers on the front fender at the time it was taken but those are long gone now. Here's a few more.

W4rRN22.jpg

IhFsgLh.jpg

M9yUsUX.jpg
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Wow the car is in great condition. Is your Grandpa still alive to share in your enthusiasm? The damage is less than I had envisioned. I assume the only damage to the front end was the drum. Hopefully all will turn out well.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:51 PM

Wait ... they sold you a car with no nuts on the tires ... and you didn't call the police immediately? Did I read that right?
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM

Yes, he's still alive and is now I believe about 85. He was more than surprised when I showed up in his driveway later that day driving it! (I put the tire back on after I got the car home and it's been driving "fine".

Yes, you read that right! I called the police immediately and the only thing he told me to do was to call a toe truck. The 911 person told me to NOT walk down the bridge to retrieve the tire/hub cap yet when I told the office this he told me he had to be somewhere else and that I would have to get a different car and go stop traffic myself and get it! I didn't even know what to say to him at that point. I told him I had someone on the way with a trailer and he left. He didn't both to write out an accident report or anything. Though luckily no other car was involved. But what are we paying these guys for though if they are going to instruct US to stop traffic on a bridge on an interstate?..
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Wow the car is in great condition. Is your Grandpa still alive to share in your enthusiasm? The damage is less than I had envisioned. I assume the only damage to the front end was the drum. Hopefully all will turn out well.
The damage isn't near as bad as I expected either but it does look worse in person. And from all I can tell the drum is the only thing that sustained damage other than the rim/tire and what I already mentioned.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:20 PM

You're a saint ... there would definitely be something with more damage were I in your shoes. I hope you can get it back up to where Gramps can come for a spin
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

A car with class!
Have not seen one in years in these parts..
Welcome, AND glad you are ok...
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:27 PM

Nice
The wheel HAD lug nuts, they just came off
It's always the LH side because they loosen naturally unless LH thread is used.

My truck did this to me on the way home after buying it in the Chicago area. 5 miles from home.

Glad you saved it.
I am guessing Grandpa did not know you were interested. Maybe he would have given it to you.
I have some parts for that car, but nothing pretty, and brake drums are best bought new.
Old May 15th, 2014, 04:51 PM

Ohh I know at some point it had them but that fact that I only made it a couple miles down the road from where I bought it pretty much tells me there was either zero or maybe one finger tight that fell off. It's still the fact that someone changed the tires and put the hubcap and all back on without bothering to put any on or to tighten the one(s) that were on and then left a bag of them in the car. Some people just don't have common sense.

I take it you wouldn't happen to have a fender?

I found a '67 Delmont 88 with a 425 sitting in somebody's yard for about 10 years that they want $400 for. I was hoping to find out if that fender would truly work before I went to look at the car. Not sure how rusty it is but the guy said "it's in better shape than expected". I guess I could send the member that posted that any '67 model Ninety Eight or 88 fender would work a message to see if I could have him verify this first.

I think he had an idea that I was interested but the problem was that other family members were as well. I think he just wanted to avoid one member getting angry at another. Plus I know for a fact that he was determined to sell the car for the same or more than he paid new.
Old May 15th, 2014, 05:24 PM

Thery probably put the tire on in a hurry with the lugnuts finger tight and thought they had torqued them down. That fender can be saved. Get a quote from a body shop. I've seen worse come back to life. Post some more photos of the damaged area but from that angle it does not look that bad at all. Once you put gas shocks back on she should ride like a dream. Check those tires for the manufacturer date because I'm not sure they even make those tires anymore. I bet grandpa will be really excited when you take him for a ride in it again.
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:00 PM

From my understanding the tires were changed where the car was parked and about the only driving that was done was my short test drive I took it on before I bought it the next day. But this information is coming from who I bought it from and I've found her to be somewhat less than reliable.

I'm going to get the shocks ordered here in the next couple days as it feels like I'm driving over railroad tracks at 40 every time I hit even the smallest bump. And you're right about the tires, they are quite old and are the ones he had on the car when he sold it. It was garage kept and the tread it still great on them. I inspected them for any signs of cracking/rot but they all seem to be fine.

I brought the car to three different body shops early last week and only now finally got a quote from one of them. Most said it would need a new fender but they could try and repair the original if they have to. Quote to repair and not replace was about $1,700.

gyv0oR2.jpg

Kc8lw4a.jpg

F3kUWJ4.jpg

KTYAgjs.jpg

S8vI7LC.jpg

OgdsRVq.jpg

And for direct comparison, here's what it should look like.

s6jCSs1.jpg

Last edited by Jeff K.; May 15th, 2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old May 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Yeah a new fender would be best.
Old May 15th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

That fender can get straightened out. That old steel is amazing to work with . Its harder to straighten due to it being stronger but you can heat shrink it much better than todays flimsy steel on modern cars.
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:06 PM

So far a month and a half has gone by and no repairs have been made. I've been in contact with a couple members on here trying to locate parts but so far, nothing in hand. The insurance company keeps giving me the run-around saying to bring it to one place or another and that they can't come up with a proper appraisal for the repairs.

So at this point, I'm still just waiting.

I did recently pay my grandfather a visit and he surprised me with a folder out of his safe with a bunch of his original sales papers from his Oldsmobile's dating back to the early 50's. The following are the original sales receipt and option list from my '67 Ninety Eight.

Admins, please move this thread if it should no longer be in the newbie section.

RBAL7wJ.jpg
LLLbEIX.jpg
nQ2oAeu.jpg
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:43 PM

Great story, except for the lug nut part
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:02 PM

Hello -- glad you are OK after that experience

I am with Magna86 on checking the age of the tires; from research I did about 5 years ago, a thumbrule is to replace tires after they are 6-7 years old, no matter how much tread remains and how they visually look because you don't normally check the condition of the *inside* of the tire and ozone is always at work.

Additionally, for your insurance, are you dealing with a company that specializes in collector cars or is it your regular insurance company?
Old July 1st, 2014, 03:56 PM

Popeye1978, you make a good point about the condition of the INSIDE of the tires. That's something I hadn't given much thought to after the outside checked out just fine.

Unfortunately no, I'm not dealing with a company that specializes on collector cars. My insurance company is Country Financial and so far, I'm not having any issues with the claim other than trying to locate the parts. They are willing to cover all damage and repairs so I can't ask for anymore than that.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Jeff...have you thought about contacting Desert Valley Auto in Phoenix for a fender? A quick check on their website (dvap.com) shows they have a few to choose from; even one with the side marker light. Even if that's sold, couldn't you cut the opening in a non-marker fender? You'll pay a premium for the fender and shipping will be expensive, but it will be rust-free and sounds like you're getting nowhere fast finding something like that up here in the Rust Belt.