Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

84 Cutlass v6 to v8

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:34 AM

84 Cutlass v6 to v8

So I'm possibly trading my 1994 dodge ram today for a 1984 Cutlass supreme with a 3.8 V6 and a 200R4. I'm looking at dropping a Chevy 350 and turbo 350 in it's place.

Now here's my question. I've been doing research on it and I know I'll need frame pads and motor mounts from a monte carlo. Reroute the fuel line to the passenger side (if you run electric fuel pump couldn't you get away with left side?). Turbo 350 dipstick. Bend the tranny cooler lines a bit and a bigger radatior. Is that it?

Some people are saying that you need to modify the crossmember. How so? My dad and I have a 1983 Cutlass drag car it's the normal cutlass crossmember with a chevy 350 and turbo 350. It just seems like its the metal plate the hooks from the crossmember to the tranny mount would need changed. Is that all that needs to be done?

What about wiring hareness in the engine compartment. What all will hook up? Eventually I'm gonna go to autometer gauges but for now I would like my gauges. If I have to I will get the 3 pod set with oil psi, water temp, and volts. But I don't want to do that then the factory gauges not work. I like clean. If I go with aftermarket gauges for the oil psi will it trip the oil/choke light since it wouldn't be hooked up?
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Moderators may want to move this to the non-olds powered forum.

Just treat it like a Monte Carlo.

Yes, motor mounts and frame pads will be required. Some of the wiring will need to be relocated, as the starter is on the right side. I believe you can reuse the trans xmember in its current location, but the mod required may be for dual exhaust. Mod fuel lines as required, and I'm not familiar with the idiot lights on the 84, but on the older ones I just left them disconnected and hooked up the aftermarket gauges.

There is probably a wealth of info on the G-body forums.

Last edited by oldcutlass; March 28th, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Moderators may want to move this to the non-olds powered forum.

Just treat it like a Monte Carlo.

Yes, motor mounts and frame pads will be required. Some of the wiring will need to be relocated, as the starter is on the right side. I believe you can reuse the trans xmember in its current location, but the mod required may be for dual exhaust. Mod fuel lines as required, and I'm not familiar with the idiot lights on the 84, but on the older ones I just left them disconnected and hooked up the aftermarket gauges.

There is probably a wealth of info on the G-body forums.
Thank ya! This was the first forum that popped up yesterday. So I figured this one gets the most traffic.
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Welcome!
I moved your thread to the Non-Olds powered section, where there is more expertise at swapping in a Chevy motor. Post a picture of your car when you get a chance - we like pics over here!
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Administrator

No problem, it's fairly easy swap, good luck! Post some pics of your car!
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
delete

If you are not locked in on the Chevy set up you should consider a small block Olds and the tranny you have. IIRC the frame pads won't have to be changed. You'll have to beef up the tranny for the extra power but the parts are readily available as well as headers for that engine in that car. This way you'll have the advantage of the overdrive trans.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Olds Fever

[QUOTE=droptopron;387762]If you are not locked in on the Chevy set up you should consider a small block Olds and the tranny you have. IIRC the frame pads won't have to be changed. QUOTE]

The frame pads are not the same for the small block Olds and will have to be changed..... The frame pads for Olds V8's are still available from GM or VPI..........
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The V6 is a BUICK motor.
So.....the easiest swap for your cutlass would be a buick 350 motor.
All the wiring, mounts and and lines will still be in the correct position.
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Definitely motor mounts have to change. I did it in an 83 Monte Carlo back in the 90's. X2 on the Olds mounts being defferent from chevy. Hardest part I found was getting the mounts bolted to the frame. Ended up using a coat hanger & a vise to bend the hanger around the head of the bolts. Then it was easy to feed the bolts up in to the front frame. I also agree if you can get an buick V8 in there it would save a bit of work as well with wiring harness, etc.