Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

new cluster is a cluster f

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2022, 07:46 AM

new cluster is a cluster f

In my BMW z3 (the Money Pit) I have had the instrument cluster replaced early in the rebuild, now the speedometer is interment. Some days no problem, other days I'm left with the tack as a reminder of how slow or fast I'm going. I assume it is electric, but I'm reluctant to dig into it, as that is where all the anti theft stuff lives. Any-one have any idea of what would cause this. First guess is a short, but I'm clueless, really.

I did park next to my mechanic at the Cars and Coffee and I did ask him about this issue, and he replied bring it into the shop. I don't know if that means we will fix it for free, or they will bill me for the job, I can guess pretty accurately on that though... Tedd
Old October 3rd, 2022, 08:53 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I would ask him before I handed him the keys. If he is the one that fixed it earlier in the year, He should fix it for free or at least give you a good discount. As a backup, you can put a GPS app like Waze on your phone and it will not only give you your speed but will tell you what the speed limit is.
Old October 4th, 2022, 05:20 AM

Intermittent problems are the worst. Hopefully your mechanic will be able to fix it.