Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Non-Olds: Anybody got a source for Hilborn style Pontiac EFI?

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2024, 10:42 PM

Non-Olds: Anybody got a source for Hilborn style Pontiac EFI?

Asking for a friend. He has a clean, stock-ish GTO. I believe it’s a ‘64. Subtle white hardtop, not over the top. Just a clean muscle car as so many of you enjoy. Me? I’m a big car guy who appreciates the “intermediates” of the mid 60’s.

He’s on the hunt for a hilborn looking EFI setup for a Pontiac big block. He doesn’t want a blower car, but would be pleased to have the Hilborn stacks stick through a fiberglass hood by just a few inches. His beef with blowers is they’re hard to see around. Always ducking your head to one side or the other for forward view. I’m guessing he’ll save the stock hood and just cut a reproduction if he can get to an appropriate EFI setup.

Anyway, would any of you have suggestions as to where to find [size=16px]a hilborn stack style EFI setup for a Pontiac V8 that combines modern (probably sequential) EFI with that classic hilborn look?

Thanks in advance
Chris[/size]
Old March 8th, 2024, 04:45 AM

Budget?
Old March 8th, 2024, 07:09 AM

Mark - right?,
You’re exactly who I was thinking of and mentioned to him yesterday. My thinking was if you build Olds EFI systems, Pontiacs woudln’t be too far afield.

He runs a brake/tire/suspension shop so is not unaware of what things cost. When we casually spoke about pricing my thought was the whole setup would begin north of $3000, but we didn’t get too far into that. He didn’t balk, but would certainly be aware that the bolt on stuff starts around $2000, and doing a Hilborn style setup would have to be more.

If you’d like, hit me up privately with your contact points so I can pass them along in case you guys find common ground. Can’t tell quite how much casual car-drearming this was vs. an active hunt for a mod he’d like to do soon.

After just a minute or 2 we switched to qjets. He critiqued my slightly low fast idle, but otherwise was complementary about how my Starfire runs. That was fun because qjets make sense to me.

My ‘66 S/F was at his shop to have him check (and correct) my work on a new rag joint. I’d goofed getting the donut down low enough onto the steering box. He made it correct and safe. What led to this work was my (very long) thread on restoring/repairing the ‘66 Tilt & tele columns. I got the columns right, but wanted to be sure about the connection to the ‘box. I’m grateful for his check and the safety he improved.

Anyway happy to make the link in case this helps you both.

Chris
Old March 8th, 2024, 10:55 AM

I am listening in on this one !
Old March 9th, 2024, 04:25 AM

PM’d you Chris.