Exhaust manifold trouble

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2008, 05:54 AM

Exhaust manifold trouble

HELP! I am tearing apart my 455 and when I took the pipes off of the exhaust manifolds 3 bolts broke off and are stuck in the manfold. The bolts are broken off flush with the manifold surface. There is about 1/4" of the bolt sticking out of the opposite side of the hole. What would be the best way to get these out? Should I try an EZ out, or should I drill them out with a larger drill bit and put a HeliCoil in? Someone at the auto tech center on base said I should heat them up with a torch and try to get them out the back of the hole with a pair of vise grips. I think the bolt would just smash and the threads would get damaged. I have never had any luck with vise grips. I will take some pics tonight if I get over to the auto tech center.
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
HELP! I am tearing apart my 455 and when I took the pipes off of the exhaust manifolds 3 bolts broke off and are stuck in the manfold. The bolts are broken off flush with the manifold surface. There is about 1/4" of the bolt sticking out of the opposite side of the hole. What would be the best way to get these out? Should I try an EZ out, or should I drill them out with a larger drill bit and put a HeliCoil in? Someone at the auto tech center on base said I should heat them up with a torch and try to get them out the back of the hole with a pair of vise grips. I think the bolt would just smash and the threads would get damaged. I have never had any luck with vise grips. I will take some pics tonight if I get over to the auto tech center.
I assume you're talking about the bolts at the exhaust pipe flange? I've had very good luck with the heat and vice grips method. Be sure to get the manifold ear red hot and thread the stub out the backside. Failing that, the Helicoil is the next solution.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Or you could just buy another one from someone on R.O.P. dirt cheap.
They probably have piles of them from header swaps.

Think about it, if it's going to take you 3 hours to mess with plus a mapp gas cylinder.
Assuming you want to pay yourself 20 bucks an hour for labor, $60 bucks is guaranteed to snag you a good mani.
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Past Administrator

Hey son, I found this over at the HAMB. good luck

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...0425&showall=1
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:05 AM

Maybe your car is telling you to upgrade to the branched manifolds
Kroil or Mopar rust penetrant might help, heat usually helps if you get it hot enough. Next time use good grade 8 bolts and Never Seez.