Valve spring, Umbrella seal

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Valve spring, Umbrella seal

K, After removing the valve covers on my '55 Olds, discovered what looks like rubber seals on-top of the valve springs, below the rocker arms, two were split/damaged/missing. I was told they call them umbrella seals. What's involved in replacing them. Also what is their use. I freeked out for a bit thinking that was apart of the cap/retainer to hold the spring down. Is this left for a ace mechanic or something a newbie can do? (Though did this kind of stuff in H/S, now 47).

Thanks,

AND1stp
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Valve seals

#1 you need a air compressor & fitting to screw into spark plug hole then a valve spring compressor and a Hammer to break the keepers loose Note flush heads with oil & drain it, the old keepers will plug the oil pump screen PIECE OF CAKE
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Thanks!

Thanks Ozone,

Can you remove the springs with out taking off the Rocker arm rod assembly?
Old September 28th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I got my new seals. The old ones sit on top of the valve spring. The new seales (umbrella) look much different. I'm told the sit on the bottom of the valve stem against the head. Anyone fill me in on the particulars?

Thanks,

and1stp
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Past Administrator

You are right, and the way they wrap over the head is like an umbrella, hence the name.
Old September 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM

K, I think I've got it now. The old style seal, made of plastic, sat on-top of the valve/retainer. The new style seal (looks like an umbrella, made of rubber) fits on the the valve stem, pushed to the bottom, resting on the head. Spring sits on-top of the umbrella. Basicly the seals, preventing oil seeping down the valve stem. So as I have been researching, send air into the cylinder to hold the valves, compress the spring, remove the keepers and replace the seals. Yep, GET-ER-DONE.

Thanks for all the imput guys!
Old November 4th, 2023, 07:00 AM

Joe

Originally Posted by and1stp
K, I think I've got it now. The old style seal, made of plastic, sat on-top of the valve/retainer. The new style seal (looks like an umbrella, made of rubber) fits on the the valve stem, pushed to the bottom, resting on the head. Spring sits on-top of the umbrella. Basicly the seals, preventing oil seeping down the valve stem. So as I have been researching, send air into the cylinder to hold the valves, compress the spring, remove the keepers and replace the seals. Yep, GET-ER-DONE.

Thanks for all the imput guys!
What you had was Dorman Products oil control umbrellas. They kept oil away from worn seals/guides. They fit over the retainer and were sealed with adhesive. Others obviously didn't pay attention/understand what you were saying.
Old November 4th, 2023, 07:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Joe's garage
What you had was Dorman Products oil control umbrellas. They kept oil away from worn seals/guides. They fit over the retainer and were sealed with adhesive. Others obviously didn't pay attention/understand what you were saying.
This thread is from 2006. I hope he has it fixed by now.