Window Track Roller ?

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2021, 07:37 AM

Window Track Roller ?

My 69 Cutlass Vert 1/4 windows could be rocked back and forth in the track. All nylon rollers appeared to be in order. I figured there must be wear that isn't that obvious. So I purchased the kit to replace all rollers. I removed the track, regulator, and glass. There are 3 per side, 2 can be removed but the middle one seems to be pressed into place. I cut the roller off, thinking I could get a better grip on the shaft and unscrew it. All it does is turn in place. I now wish I had left the roller alone and hoped it was still good enough. I don't want to beat on this piece and wind up bending it. Any suggestions???

Steve

Old June 9th, 2021, 02:12 PM

This post may help on how to drive window roller rivets. Look for more window -related posts under my screen name and they should help you. I have big cars, but the mechanisms and parts are very similar to Cutlasses.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...driver-139670/

My latest discovery is that Evaporust and a dremel with a wire brush can clean up these ancient steel mechanisms nicely. Once you’re in there, it’s nice to have the moving parts be clean before regressing them. I used the dremel to clean out old grease and rust from the sliding C channels that the rollers are supposed to roll in.

I figure a clean uniform surface and fresh rollers will contribute to a good functioning window regulator.