Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Assistance with cowl tag decoding

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2019, 02:19 PM

Assistance with cowl tag decoding

It almost looks like it was burned, but I don’t see evidence of it being removed… Crazy

So I just got my 65 Starfire Convertible brought to the house today. Cowl tag is a mess, pretty mangled up, but I think we can figure this out together.... I have no idea what happened to this tag, and at the price i got the car for...It really doesn't matter. I will try and get a picture posted, but for now...

1D
ST 65-36667 Body ? BH (BM) 189
TR 345 PAINT R1
ACC 1 - 8

I also want to try to figure out if this is a Canada built car as the firewall was painted red and I can't tell if it was before, or it was black.

I have a red interior that came with it, lots of high options, cruise, power rear antenna, power windows including vent windows, A/C and Guide-O-Matic photo eye... and was told red is it's correct color, again...price was the deciding factor in getting this. Any help to figure this all out is appreciated.

Thanks all.

Last edited by oldsrocket88; September 15th, 2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old September 15th, 2019, 03:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

1D = built fourth week (D) of Jan (1) 1965
ST65 = Style 1965 model year
3 = Oldsmobile Division
66 = Starfire
67 = Convertible
Body BK = Kansas City (BA would be Doraville, GA) - what is the assembly plant letter in the VIN?
189 = Fisher Body sequence number
TR345 = red leather interior
Paint R1 = Target Red (R) with white convertible top (1)

I'm afraid I haven't seen an ACC line like that before. It's usually letters or letters and numbers, not just numbers.
Old September 16th, 2019, 09:45 AM

Definitely a fire in the engine compartment at some point in it's life. That's the only way that tag would end up like that. I suspect these tags are made of aluminum and because of the much lower melting temp, it got deformed but the steel firewall it was fastened to, was OK. It's a moot point now as the car is stripped down and you'll be installing everything new, so whatever damage is long gone. You might want to wonder about body filler in the hood and fenders though. Fires can really warp steel sheetmetal. Hopefully they did the right thing and replaced anything damaged instead of patching and puttying.
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:03 PM

Plant letter in vin is X so yeah, Kansas City, Kansas. Black firewall it is .. lol
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Daiv8or
Definitely a fire in the engine compartment at some point in it's life. That's the only way that tag would end up like that. I suspect these tags are made of aluminum and because of the much lower melting temp, it got deformed but the steel firewall it was fastened to, was OK. It's a moot point now as the car is stripped down and you'll be installing everything new, so whatever damage is long gone. You might want to wonder about body filler in the hood and fenders though. Fires can really warp steel sheetmetal. Hopefully they did the right thing and replaced anything damaged instead of patching and puttying.
That’s what I was suspecting too, but there is absolutely no other evidence of a fire on this firewall. Either way, this car was a complete frame off restoration that was given up on. The fenders and hood look pretty straight. They are already complete and painted. My guess is they may be replacements. The engine block and trans are already completed it in the car however it looks like it’s got a set of G heads on it and and Offenhauser dual port 360 manifold. Here’s the block casting…

Here’s the block casting…
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:24 PM

Is there anyway to get these cowl tags reproduced? It drives me crazy looking at this warped ugly one LOL
Old September 16th, 2019, 03:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldsrocket88
Is there anyway to get these cowl tags reproduced? It drives me crazy looking at this warped ugly one LOL
http://classicta.com/GM-COWL-ID-TAG-...CE_p_6950.html

http://www.trimtags.com/ordering.html
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Wow. I had no idea people were now offering this. It's never been easier to own a "rare", factory original 4 speed car than now!
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Phantom Phixer

Wow. I had no idea people were now offering this. It's never been easier to own a "rare", factory original 4 speed car than now!
Don't get too excited . These tags are rarely EXACTLY like the factory ones . If for no other reason than they are TOO neat .
An " expert " can tell .
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:15 PM

Wow, thanks Joe... I will have to think about if its worth $255 to satisfy my ocd.. haha
Old September 16th, 2019, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Don't get too excited . These tags are rarely EXACTLY like the factory ones . If for no other reason than they are TOO neat .
An " expert " can tell .
I'm glad this is so. I was being somewhat sardonic. I am somewhat horrified that there are people out there more than willing to make you a fake ID for your car. Sadly, it's way more expensive than a fake ID for your life.

On the other hand, it does offer someone like the OP a way to clean up and restore their car completely. I would suggest to the OP that they keep the original plate and keep it with the car for the future should they have a new plate made.
Old September 17th, 2019, 08:24 AM

I'm glad this is so. I was being somewhat sardonic. I am somewhat horrified that there are people out there more than willing to make you a fake ID for your car. Sadly, it's way more expensive than a fake ID for your life.

On the other hand, it does offer someone like the OP a way to clean up and restore their car completely. I would suggest to the OP that they keep the original plate and keep it with the car for the future should they have a new plate made.
Yeah, that is exactly what i would do if I get a replacement.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.