Matching black paint.

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2020, 03:19 PM

Matching black paint.

Just had a guy hit my 66 442 in the passenger door, just had the-car wet sanded and buffed..ugh.. my car is black, my question is will that door blend in ok once replaced and painted black or will it always be a little off? Its a single stage oldsmobile black color.
thanks
Old June 20th, 2020, 06:28 AM

When I worked with an old timer body guy, in the 70's and 80's, he did a lot of touch up, collision work on cars of the 60's and 70's. Black was not as easy as you might think to touch up. Often, if the paint did not match, he would buy paint from a different manufacturer, until he found one that did. Same paint code, different brand.
Old June 20th, 2020, 08:02 AM

How long ago was the car painted in single stage? What was the brand and do you still have some? If you know the brand of paint, the paint code, and especially if you have the label on the can, it's pretty simple to get a close match. If you can not find or don't have the previous paint information and are going to replace the door (needing to paint the entire door), I might look at having the color read with the paint camera to get a close match and then blend/paint the whole side using B/C C/C. If you are using the same door and can keep the repair within the door, I would tend to blend on the door. Either way, suggest you let the shop tell you their best approach and recommendation as they will be doing the work and will need your sign off. If you're wanting to do the repair yourself and aren't that familiar with painting, I suggest doing all the work right up to paint and find a good shop to spray and buff it. You will always know that it was painted there so you might always see a shade difference but the average person won't know there was a repaint if the shop did the work correctly. Good luck with it.
Old June 21st, 2020, 12:26 PM

Its single stage, no idea on brand , none to reference.. will hav3 to see how it works out.. afraid base clear will make it stand out worse.
Old July 1st, 2020, 08:27 PM

Do you know if lacquer, enamel or polyurethane? I have an unopened gallon of PPG black lacquer I could let go.

tc
Old July 2nd, 2020, 05:31 AM

Don’t really know, no checking so I assume acrylic enamel..