1/4 mile E.T

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2024, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
It went 13.3@107, but whatever. This was built with zero performance knowledge and a Mondildo ripoff. 0.030 over 400G, Comp XE268 cam, 1st gen Edelbrock heads with purple aluminum rockers, Performer intake, and Barry Grant mech secondary 750. It was built by JB Auto Machine in Rosedale, MD. I couldn't keep thrust bearings in it because of manual trans/auto crank issues. That's why it never got put back together.
Bernhard Wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Until Dave Smith and Kenne Bell there was little support for the Oldsmobile. We could not keep our 400 G from spinning rod bearings, that's why we went to the small block Oldsmobile. I remember talking to a class racer back in the early 80's, his term was Mondodollars as he spent $$$ and the car went no faster. There were always racers and engine builders that could make the Oldsmobile perform and live, it's just that that information was not readily available. Until Bill T published his book I still had no idea why we could not keep our 400 G from spinning rod bearings. Rotating mass was discussed prior and how important it was to reduce the rotating mass.

Last edited by Bernhard; March 30th, 2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old March 30th, 2024, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Bernhard Wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
Until Dave Smith and Kenne Bell there was little support for the Oldsmobile. We could not keep our 400 G from spinning rod bearings, that's why we went to the small block Oldsmobile. I remember talking to a class racer back in the early 80's, his term was Mondodollars as he spent $$$ and the car went no faster. There were always racers and engine builders that could make the Oldsmobile perform and live, it's just that that information was not readily available. Until Bill T published his book I still had no idea why we could not keep our 400 G from spinning rod bearings. Rotating mass was discussed prior and how important it was to reduce the rotating mass.
There were companies with products for Oldsmobile, long before Kenne-Bell and Dave Smith showed up. Isky, Emgle, Howards, Lunati, Racing Head Service, Offenhouser, B&M, Art Carr, Hooker, Heddman are that pop into my mind. Maybe not as many choices as a Chebby, but they were there. There were some car dealers and engine builders who knew how to make an Olds run and live.
Joe Mondello's reputation was built on cylinder heads. Almost every NHRA Top Fuel dragster winner and runner up had Mondello heads. He began marketing his ported and polished small block Chebby heads to speed shops. That probably led to starting Mondello Performance....of which later 1/2 ownership was sold to Lynn something or other. It wasn't until I joined this site that I began hearing what an "Olds engine Guru" Joe Mondello was.
The 400 G seems like an afterthought. Oldsmobile might have been better off stroking the 350, or just continue with the 400 E.
Old March 30th, 2024, 03:12 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
The 400 G seems like an afterthought. Oldsmobile might have been better off stroking the 350, or just continue with the 400 E.
Not likely ... Olds built it to save money by having components in common with the 455.
Old March 30th, 2024, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
There were companies with products for Oldsmobile, long before Kenne-Bell and Dave Smith showed up. Isky, Emgle, Howards, Lunati, Racing Head Service, Offenhouser, B&M, Art Carr, Hooker, Heddman are that pop into my mind. Maybe not as many choices as a Chebby, but they were there. There were some car dealers and engine builders who knew how to make an Olds run and live.
Joe Mondello's reputation was built on cylinder heads. Almost every NHRA Top Fuel dragster winner and runner up had o Lynn something or other. It wasn't until I joined this site that I began hearing what an "Olds engine Guru" Joe Mondello was.

Bernhard wrote:
I was referring to Oldsmobile specific parts suppliers that addressed Oldsmobile specific issues. Yes the aftermarket support was always there, just not as large as the other brands. The 400 G has its limitations.

Last edited by Bernhard; March 30th, 2024 at 05:32 PM.