Out of the box Edelbrock heads

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2024, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by oldsrush
Spring rate is not correct!
He has the wrong spring, that’s a single.
They use the same outer spring in both the flat tappet and roller applications. Difference being they add an inner spring for the rollers.

Should these issues be addressed? ABSOLUTELY! Let me repeat that, ABSOLUTELY! But don’t you think Edelbrock should be given the chance to respond first? Not posting this all over the internet right away?

So here’s what torches my ***, AND makes things more difficult to get done;
“Hey Mr Edelbrock, will you do Cyl heads and intakes for us please? Oh and by the way, the very second something is wrong, I won’t contact you first, I’ll just spread it all over the web. But I still expect you to make **** for one of the most negative and ungrateful group of enthusiasts the hobby has ever seen”.
If this is going to be the reaction to a company that bent over backwards to redesign a head THEY DIDN’T NECESSARILY NEED TO REDESIGN, then I’m done. And I’m sure they will be too.
Some of you would bitch about a free lunch. I don’t get it.

Last edited by cutlassefi; January 14th, 2024 at 09:59 AM.
Old January 14th, 2024, 10:23 AM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
They use the same outer spring in both the flat tappet and roller applications. Difference being they add an inner spring for the rollers.

Should these issues be addressed? ABSOLUTELY! Let me repeat that, ABSOLUTELY! But don’t you think Edelbrock should be given the chance to respond first? Not posting this all over the internet right away?

“Hey Mr Edelbrock, will you do Cyl heads and intakes for us please? Oh and by the way, the very second something is wrong, I won’t contact you first, I’ll just spread it all over the web. But I still expect you to make **** for one of the most negative and ungrateful group of enthusiasts the hobby has ever seen”.
If this is going to be the reaction to a company that bent over backwards to redesign a head THEY DIDN’T NECESSARILY NEED TO REDESIGN, then I’m done. And I’m sure they will be too.
You sir are absolutely some kind of Jerk!
Old January 14th, 2024, 10:45 AM

You sir are absolutely some kind of Jerk!
Thank you!!
Old January 14th, 2024, 11:09 AM
Gearhead

Thank you!!
You are welcome!

Last edited by oldsrush; January 14th, 2024 at 04:41 PM.
Old January 14th, 2024, 12:28 PM

Quality control is great when it is proposed by the company executives…

but, if all you have are a uncaring and lazy work force at the end of the production line(or any step in between), your product will be crap.

Plain and simple, this is unfortunately the new world we live in, where quality workmanship is a surprise, and should no longer be an expectation.

We have to think of these products built by all of these companies as the “starter kit” of parts that will need work, finishing, and corrections before they can successfully be used. Forget what the funny books like by all publishers say, as they are sponsored-by and in business to sell people on their opinion of these parts.

I don’t know of many engine parts that are truly “bolt-on” at all. Everything from pushrods to rocker arms to pistons, to assembled heads should be thoroughly cleaned, torn down and verified/corrected. When a set of $2,000 AFR BBC heads has .009 seat runout and .002-.005 valve face runout, you know there are going to be problems with the performance.
Old January 14th, 2024, 02:04 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

As said, this needs to be reported to Edelbrock. Also how many heads were bought before this crappy one was found? As Dave mentioned the Procomp bare are nice but we know the assembled ones of those have issues as well. But they cost 1/2 as much, extra work is much less painful. Hopefully Edelbrock will tighten up quality control and this becomes a very rare occurrence.
Old January 14th, 2024, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
As said, this needs to be reported to Edelbrock. Also how many heads were bought before this crappy one was found? As Dave mentioned the Procomp bare are nice but we know the assembled ones of those have issues as well. But they cost 1/2 as much, extra work is much less painful. Hopefully Edelbrock will tighten up quality control and this becomes a very rare occurrence.
that’s already been answered. Bernard Mondello posted there were serious quality control issues back about 9 months ago and said he won’t be selling any more heads as they come

and yes..he did blast that all over Facebook. It’s old news
Old January 14th, 2024, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
that’s already been answered. Bernard Mondello posted there were serious quality control issues back about 9 months ago and said he won’t be selling any more heads as they come

and yes..he did blast that all over Facebook. It’s old news
Do you think EFI would do that?
Old January 14th, 2024, 03:31 PM

You need to take a Dale Carnegie course.
Old January 14th, 2024, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
You need to take a Dale Carnegie course.
I did, years ago. I guess the older I get the less patience I have.
Old January 14th, 2024, 04:12 PM
Gearhead

For a bit over $2000 I'm satisfied with these heads. There is just not that much wrong with them that I can determine and they look good. My only thing is I want more data on the springs and Edelbrock is like a ton of other manufacturers, it takes hours or days to get thru by phone for correct technical support.
Old January 14th, 2024, 04:42 PM

For a bit over $2000 I'm satisfied with these heads. There is just not that much wrong with them that I can determine and they look good. My only thing is I want more data on the springs and Edelbrock is like a ton of other manufacturers, it takes hours or days to get thru by phone for correct technical support.
Yours had double springs correct?
Old January 14th, 2024, 04:46 PM
Gearhead

Double springs with a dampener. And I wish they had 10* locks.
Old January 14th, 2024, 05:09 PM

Best route is to test any springs that come on an assembled head to verify seat and open pressures, no matter what the manufacturer “says” they are.

Any decent shop should be able to check for seat pressure at installed height and open height.

I would personally test all 16 to make sure that they all check to be the same.
Old January 15th, 2024, 11:42 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

It would still be nice to know the percentage and types of issues. A less than ideal valve job and casting issues causing less than ideal flow numbers, BillK, are one thing. Something like improper machined seat pocket, Peyton Hunt, incorrect valve springs and say something like a substandard valve keeper are things that could destroy your $5000 short block. These, oh you shouldn't buy Edelbrock heads out of the box, are sounds of salesmen, oh salesmen! Remember they are selling, only their Edelbrock's will keep your engine safe.
Old January 17th, 2024, 03:28 PM

This has been reported to Edelbrock without results.
Along with another GM brand Edelbrock head with the same issues, common ground is both brands were machined by the same subcontractor. You can not purchase Edelbrock Olds heads bare, period.

Last edited by TD2593; January 17th, 2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old January 17th, 2024, 05:25 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Subcontractor, says a lot right there. I thought they were doing them in house. Bare Procomp heads it is. I not paying 4 grand Canadian for a set of heads. Yes, they would cost that by the time the experts go through them.
Old January 18th, 2024, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by TD2593
This has been reported to Edelbrock without results.
Along with another GM brand Edelbrock head with the same issues, common ground is both brands were machined by the same subcontractor. You can not purchase Edelbrock Olds heads bare, period.
that’s true. When Edelbrock was having supply issues a couple years ago I was having a conversation with them about getting the new BB heads…multiple emails back and forth and when they assured me the heads were cast and finished machined, sitting on skids waiting for their suppliers to provide valves and related hardware…I said, that’s great, I’ll take two bare sets.

they ghosted me after that. Why? I’ve got bare Olds heads from them before..they also sold raw as cast Olds heads. So why not now? Makes no sense especially back two years ago when it would have made even more sense to sell me bare heads because of supply issues

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 18th, 2024 at 10:01 AM.
Old January 18th, 2024, 05:56 PM

Ffs 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old January 22nd, 2024, 08:21 PM

Ah yes the annual head thread has moved on to a new internet forum. Gotta love it
Old January 23rd, 2024, 07:52 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Typical Olds heads thread. Look I have the greatest new Oldsmobile aluminum head. Next it is either hard to get or poorly made, or both. Many bashing threads on said heads. But don't worry the saviors of Oldsmobile will fix this awful mess. Wash, rinse, dry and repeat.
Old January 23rd, 2024, 08:25 PM

This **** is just as bad as ROP got
Old January 24th, 2024, 07:20 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

They should be a little more competitive in pricing if you have to do your own quality control, any Canadian going to be over 3 grand for a set of these heads, they should be ready to run at that price!
Old January 24th, 2024, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DR_DAN
This **** is just as bad as ROP got
only for the thin skinned Karen’s who were crying there and cry here.

This Info is good to know, unless you don’t want to know
Old January 24th, 2024, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by skyhigh
They should be a little more competitive in pricing if you have to do your own quality control, any Canadian going to be over 3 grand for a set of these heads, they should be ready to run at that price!
$3,700 all in.

I’ll tell ya right now..speedmaster is eating Edelbrocks lunch on Olds heads. Last two bare sets for me have been speedmasters and will be ordering another set soon. A bare pair is $600.00 with free shipping within the U.S.

I drive across and pick them up no problem. I’m not gonna be forced to pay for crap components when I don’t need them.

Old January 24th, 2024, 09:56 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by skyhigh
Agree completely. Dale where are you finding the Speedmaster's for $600 US a pair? Only saw that price for Black Friday. Currently $496.50 each on Speedmaster's website.
Old January 24th, 2024, 11:57 AM

Agree completely. Dale where are you finding the Speedmaster's for $600 US a pair? Only saw that price for Black Friday. Currently $496.50 each on Speedmaster's website.
last Xmas sale in 22 and this year. I think they have another blow out sale some other times and they have promotions through the year

connecting rods always seem to be on promotion
Old January 24th, 2024, 06:26 PM

connecting rods always seem to be on promotion
They should be cuz they’re junk. Every rod I ever bought from them was total crap. Sent everyone back.
Old January 24th, 2024, 08:13 PM

They should be cuz they’re junk. Every rod I ever bought from them was total crap. Sent everyone back.
100% better than a stock rod..one day you’ll learn that.

I’ve got many engines out there running them and running hard… amazing huh
Old January 25th, 2024, 05:17 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Maybe they fixed them since? Someone posted their measurements a few years back, it was very bad.
Old January 25th, 2024, 06:39 AM

100% better than a stock rod..one day you’ll learn that.

I’ve got many engines out there running them and running hard… amazing huh
You’re right, stock rods are junk too. That’s why I use Molnar’s on the small blocks, and Scats on big blocks.
EVERY rod I got from Speedmaster was junk. The big ends were as much as .002 OVER the high, not .0002, but .002. And the big end widths were all over the place. If you want to spend the time to fix all that, more power to you.
And do me a favor if you would please. Don’t assume I don’t know what the fvck I’m doing. I’m a helluva lot smarter than you think, I guarantee it.
Old January 25th, 2024, 09:01 AM

Maybe they fixed them since? Someone posted their measurements a few years back, it was very bad.
They’ve had issues in the past with their heads and con rods. I’ve posted pics and explanations about that and why I haven’t used them before and why I do now..They’ve come a long way

I deal in facts, not internet fairytales.
Old January 25th, 2024, 09:06 AM

You’re right, stock rods are junk too. That’s why I use Molnar’s on the small blocks, and Scats on big blocks.
EVERY rod I got from Speedmaster was junk. The big ends were as much as .002 OVER the high, not .0002, but .002. And the big end widths were all over the place. If you want to spend the time to fix all that, more power to you.
And do me a favor if you would please. Don’t assume I don’t know what the fvck I’m doing. I’m a helluva lot smarter than you think, I guarantee it.
yes , you are very awesome… you remind us of that all time

you post a vid of you measuring the rods and what you say you’ve found, and I’ll post one of me going through three sets of their rods showing you are full of bs.

You say you use Scat..both Scat and Speedmaster rods are forged in China by the same company. The finished machining is where they differ.

deal?

Last edited by CANADIANOLDS; January 25th, 2024 at 09:19 AM.
Old January 25th, 2024, 09:34 AM

Hey Mark…I’m having a problem with you guaranteeing me you are a helluva lot smarter than I think you are when you clearly have no idea where the MCSA is on the new redesigned E broks that you claim to have been part of redesigning.

infact, by the way you answered that question, you didn’t even know what MCSA meant.

do you know now and have you figured out where it is on the new heads?

Old January 25th, 2024, 10:03 AM

You say you use Scat..both Scat and Speedmaster rods are forged in China by the same company. The finished machining is where they differ.
deal?
They’re all forged in China, Molnar’s too.
And I am aware of some raised port Edelbrocks in the works.
Old January 25th, 2024, 04:35 PM

only for the thin skinned Karen’s who were crying there and cry here.

This Info is good to know, unless you don’t want to know
Some people just want to argue, some don’t. It’s what brought ROP down
Old January 25th, 2024, 08:40 PM

Mark can you elaborate on those raised port Edelbrock's?
Old February 13th, 2024, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldsfromyell
Mark can you elaborate on those raised port Edelbrock's?
Russell Hunt has a post n FB about them. He and Peyton are toying with the idea.

And I spoke with Edelbrock today about all the issues listed here.
They ARE machined CA. If anyone wants to argue that, you can schedule a tour. They'll show you how and where they're done. Plus I believe there's a video of that facility on Youtube.
https://youtu.be/yghWAb6Mo7w?si=QLyx8BJMgxshnRub
They now have a CNC Casting machine that took a Gen III Hemi head design for instance, from a drawing to a working piece in 32 days.
They ARE happy with the sales numbers, new castings are scheduled regularly throughout the year.

Dale, don't buy them then.

Last edited by cutlassefi; February 13th, 2024 at 04:53 PM.
Old February 13th, 2024, 05:14 PM

Russell Hunt has a post n FB about them. He and Peyton are toying with the idea.

And I spoke with Edelbrock today about all the issues listed here.
They ARE machined CA. If anyone wants to argue that, you can schedule a tour. They'll show you how and where they're done. Plus I believe there's a video of that facility on Youtube.
They now have a CNC Casting machine that took a Gen III Hemi head design for instance, from a drawing to a working piece in 32 days.
They ARE happy with the sales numbers, new castings are scheduled regularly throughout the year.

Dale, don't buy them then.
Too late, sorry.

Old February 13th, 2024, 05:14 PM

Too late, sorry.
Good, better late than never.

Quick Reply: Out of the box Edelbrock heads