Stock Appearing tire prep

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2024, 07:26 PM

Stock Appearing tire prep

Old February 27th, 2024, 05:59 AM

Great vid, daily vs racing tire…what a difference.
Old February 27th, 2024, 06:57 AM

Amazing setup!
Old February 27th, 2024, 08:03 AM

While the "tire prep" can make a difference in traction, it takes more than tire prep to pop wheelies.

I do find it interesting that he does a couple short dry burnouts when competing and not spinning the tires in the "water box". The metal screws in the rim, low tire pressure, using inner tubes and short, dry burnouts is "old school" stuff that still works. Tire compounds have changed over the last 50 years too.
.....Just my two cents worth.
Old February 27th, 2024, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
While the "tire prep" can make a difference in traction, it takes more than tire prep to pop wheelies.

I do find it interesting that he does a couple short dry burnouts when competing and not spinning the tires in the "water box". The metal screws in the rim, low tire pressure, using inner tubes and short, dry burnouts is "old school" stuff that still works. Tire compounds have changed over the last 50 years too.
.....Just my two cents worth.
Notice the wheel screws were all on the inside of the rim. I'm sure they have removed all the stiction from the suspension and the spring rates and shocks are dialed in.
There is major money involved in that operation.
Old February 27th, 2024, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bernhard
Notice the wheel screws were all on the inside of the rim. I'm sure they have removed all the stiction from the suspension and the spring rates and shocks are dialed in.
There is major money involved in that operation.
Yes, but I thought I saw one tire in the video that had them on both sides. If the rules permitted, I would have them on the inside and the outside. I used a lot fewer screws.

Whats "stiction" ?

Yes, there is major money involved. But, you need "major power" to pop the front wheels.
Old February 28th, 2024, 02:47 AM

Wish I had that kinda of time to JUST deal with tire set up.
Its obvious this is his full time hobby.

Still…fun to watch.
Old February 28th, 2024, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Yes, but I thought I saw one tire in the video that had them on both sides. If the rules permitted, I would have them on the inside and the outside. I used a lot fewer screws.

Whats "stiction" ?

Yes, there is major money involved. But, you need "major power" to pop the front wheels.
Stiction is friction in motion, in this case I was referring to the control arms travel. Most likely these cars can be push with one hand in the lanes. I'm quite sure that the rim screws have to be kept on the inside of the rim to stay in the spirit of stock appearing. There is one build going together right now that is running large as in massive dome pistons, it will be interesting to see what that engine produces.

[QUOTE=OLDSter Ralph;1555751]Yes, but I thought I saw one tire in the video that had them on both sides.

You right watched the video again and the Vette has screws on both sides of the rim. I agree I would rather have screws on both sides and fewer of them, just like the way we used to run them. Why they were on only one side of the Camaro ?

Last edited by Bernhard; March 1st, 2024 at 01:44 PM.