307..blue smoke!

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Just A BaBy {:

307..blue smoke!

my 307 is burning oil right at start up. there is 2 spark plugs that have a bit of oil on them.Now i would like to do a compression test but don't no what psi it should be at? Now when the car is idle there is a fair amount of smoke but when i drive it theres is nothing unless i gun it! If you can give me some ideas of whats the prop an how i can fix that would be cool ! thank you!
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by easytobedead
my 307 is burning oil right at start up. there is 2 spark plugs that have a bit of oil on them.Now i would like to do a compression test but don't no what psi it should be at? Now when the car is idle there is a fair amount of smoke but when i drive it theres is nothing unless i gun it! If you can give me some ideas of whats the prop an how i can fix that would be cool ! thank you!

More often than not oil wet plugs on limited cylinders are an indication of deteriorated valve stem seals and possibly valve guides. The cheap and dirty test is looking at what comes from the tailpipe when the engine has sit overnight or for a while. A light blue/grayish emission that goes away rather quickly (three or four minutes) typically indicates bad valve stem seals.

The business of a noticeable tailpipe emission if the engine is gunned is probably from excessive gasoline being introduced into the engine and it is actually burning oily build up in the exhaust system or it could be from blow-by if the engine has has high mileage. This kind of emission will be far darker than that cause by bad valve stem seals.

I'd address the issue of valve stem seals and go from there. If you are finding any small hard plastic particles in your oil when changing it, it is for certain the valve stem seals are history and need to be replaced before they cause bigger issues.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
More often than not oil wet plugs on limited cylinders are an indication of deteriorated valve stem seals and possibly valve guides. The cheap and dirty test is looking at what comes from the tailpipe when the engine has sit overnight or for a while. A light blue/grayish emission that goes away rather quickly (three or four minutes) typically indicates bad valve stem seals.

The business of a noticeable tailpipe emission if the engine is gunned is probably from excessive gasoline being introduced into the engine and it is actually burning oily build up in the exhaust system or it could be from blow-by if the engine has has high mileage. This kind of emission will be far darker than that cause by bad valve stem seals.

I'd address the issue of valve stem seals and go from there. If you are finding any small hard plastic particles in your oil when changing it, it is for certain the valve stem seals are history and need to be replaced before they cause bigger issues.

Il be changing the oil to day.the tail pipe was black from the last carb that was on it so i changed it an have no prop with that.The car has 125.XXX on it so i say thats a fair amount?I as well be believe its the valve's.Just wanted to make sure that it was not the rings or anything big!