371 performance

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM

371 performance

Just wondering if there is any reasonably priced options to add some power to a 371 in a 59 dynamic 88. I have a feeling all the options are rare and spendy though
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:58 AM

What is your goal, and your budget?

Depending on your intended use, a rear gear change will put more of your existing power to the ground, but a good ring and pinion set for '57 to '64 may be hard to find.

Dual exhaust should be on any V8.

Carb re-jet and re-curved distributor (done by someone who actually knows what they are doing) will get you the most bang for your buck.

Norm
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
....and re-curved distributor (done by someone who actually knows what they are doing) will get you the most bang for your buck.

Norm
So true, and many shops don't even do "old style" distributors any more. I remember when there was a distributor machine in every shop. Must be a vanishing skill, sort of like people that know how to work on vacuum tubes.
Old July 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
........ many shops don't even do "old style" distributors any more ........
No demand for it any more. Simpler to "upgrade" to an HEI, which is the equivalent of a "half azzed" re-curve. They are perfectly happy, because they have no idea what they "left on the table".

........ I remember when there was a distributor machine in every shop ........
That was when every "tune up" included a check to make sure both the centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms met all factory specs.

But that was when every guy drove a '57 Chev, and every girl wore a "Poodle Skirt".

........ Must be a vanishing skill ........
One that I (among others) will, likely, be taking to my grave.

........ like people that know how to work on vacuum tubes.
Another area where progress = moving backward, because a simple fact (analog sound reproduction is more accurate than it's digital equivalent) got lost.

Norm
Old July 16th, 2008, 09:05 AM

You can get lighter distributor springs from Mr. Gasket and probably other places. Current MSD and Accel distributors use centrifugal weights too. Go with something medium, not the lightest springs, and drive it to determine the best curve, just like the factory did, at least in the 60s and 70s.
Isky still makes camshafts for the old stuff.
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Why should shops continue to keep people skilled in servicing distributors if cars don't even have them anymore? They haven't had distributors for about 15 years.

Really, I understand where you all are coming from. It seems the skills associated with our hobby are getting harder to come by professionally.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Oldsdruid

They haven't had distributors for about 15 years.
I can't say as that's been a real improvement either.

The ONLY reason for electronic engine controls is to meet emissions and keep the car in spec for whatever arbitrary time EPA thinks it should be today. They're bad as NASCAR about making up rules as they go.
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I like the electronic computer controls on the newer cars that I have owned.

93 Buick LeSabre
94 Mercury Sable
94 Chrysler LeBaron
03 Volkswagen Beetle

All of the above cars got 25+ mpg on the highway. That is a good thing with gasoline at $4.00+ / gallon. A car with a points distributor and carburetor could never do that.
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Senior Moment Member

Here's one for ya. I owned a Speed shop until about a year ago. I sold it. Anyway, I had my Vette in there and asked one of our WYOTECH Techs to change my distributor while I was at lunch. I was changing to an MSD unit. He said he had to wait until I or my shop foreman were around because he wasn't sure how to do it. In fact had never done it. The new electronics kick ***. I have MSDs and electronic ignitions on all my stuff. To his credit he could do an LS1 cam swap in an afternoon.
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
........ A car with a points distributor and carburetor could never do that.
My '54 Olds got 24 MPG in factory tune. More weight and aerodynamic like a brick.

Norm
Old July 17th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Too bad that Wyotech guy didn't know how to change a distributor. I guess they only train them on what they see most often. Oldsguy has a friend that teaches at a vo-tech center in Kansas City, MO. He is a good guy. He knows alot about cars and hot rods too.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM

im used to the 5.0 performance options which is endless. Ill surely get a recurve kit, I never even thought about it. definately cheap (under $10) and something new to learn about.

I just pulled the car out of the shed and got it running again so the family can enjoy it and i thought a little more power wouldnt hurt