69 Supreme wont start

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 01:52 AM

69 Supreme wont start

I am having an issue getting my 69 Supreme started. I just installed a new Edelbrock manifold, 4 bbl carb, and fuel line. I also replaced the Coil and spark plugs, wires, cap etc. Now I can't get it to start. It took me a month or so to get every thing completed because of shipping to Italy and having the down time to do it. So the car hasn't been started in a month or longer. I'm stuck can't figure out what can be the issue.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

Go back to the last time it was running and re-check anything you changed after that. All new stuff? If not (old, or rebuilt carb) it could be that. You might have a leak at the intake manifold or carb, it could be the carb is dry, it might be your spark/timing. Lots of things, just go back and re-check everything you changed one item at a time.
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

What does is do? Does it turn over but not start? Go back to basics. Verify that you have spark, that the firing order is correct, and that the timing is correct. You can use a timing light while the engine is cranking.

Check for fuel. With the engine off, pump the throttle while looking down the carb to verify you get a squirt from the accelerator pump. Verify the choke closes when cold. At this point, the only thing left is a massive vacuum leak.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM

I checked everything that I changed. All was correct. The carb and manifold is new straight out of the box. I'm getting gas to the carb, I was able to put my finger inside to check if gas was going into the carb and all was good. The car turns over just doesn't start. I haven't checked the timing yet once I get the timing light I will do that. I’m good on the choke closing. The only difference I believe from before is the gap on the spark plugs. I’m not sure about that though. The manual and looking online the gap can be 3.5-4.5. Is that correct? My plugs are gapped at 4.5. Thanks for the feedback.