Got myself a real winner tonight..

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2024, 06:59 PM

Got myself a real winner tonight..

So I went out and got a 72 350 to put into my 84 98. It's worse off than I thought. Gonna need a hone, pistons, cam, bearings all around, possibly a crank and head work/ different heads. Kinda planned on doing this at some point but now it's double down or puss out. I've kinda got a build plan for now, but what I'm having trouble on is which heads to get if I got some. I've seen some oldsrocketparts procomp heads for a decent price but mixed reviews, I've see. Mondello named a bit but A he's backed up 6+ months and B it's like 6k for heads done by him and there no name on the planet worth 4k in labor for head work period. Edlebrock heads are not terrible for price but I'm hearing there's the same issues with them as the procomp heads. Which kinda leads me to think people are just being whiney bitches and hyping up their guy for work. feel like it'd be best to get the procomps and send them to my guy to have them prettied up and matched for my needs. What's the word on heads rn. Used? #5'S 7A'S. should I just sent my rusted out heads to get machined up and send it as is? I'm not looking for any more than 300-350hp. No race track minus the once down a strip to see what It'll do. I'll probably cross post this in the small block forum too. Thanks for any input.
Old March 17th, 2024, 07:05 PM

72 350 rebuild

I've got myself a real crusty 350 in going to be rebuilding. Need input on the heads I should go with. I've seen #5's mentioned a few times. I have 7a heads but they need some real work to get right. I'm not opposed to edlebrock heads but I've heard the quality control is lacking. I've seen some procomp heads on oldsrocketparts for 1300 and some change, also heared mixed reviews. My idea right now is to get the procomps, send them to my guy to have prettied up, matched for what I'm building and send it. I'm not going to use mondello because he is backed up 6 ish months and his heads are going for like 6k a pair, I'd rather buy a sbc crate than do that. So I'm looking for opinions pr suggestions on this, I've searched but all I can find is super dated info amd modello bashing on anyone but himself which is a bad look to be honest.
Old March 17th, 2024, 07:36 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Avoid Mondello Performance, not associated with Benard Mondello Racing. Yeah, that is the issue with Edelbrock heads fixed by the experts, too expensive to buy. The Procomp are good castings. The problem is the 81cc chambers on a 350. They will need milled a bunch to get decent compression and the intake adjusted or cut or the head face cut to fit the intake. Just get quality valves, retainers, keepers and springs to match your cam choice. The #5 are basically the same as your 7A heads for flow.
Old March 17th, 2024, 07:46 PM
Administrator

I merged your 2 threads because multiple threads only create confusion and duplicate answers.
Old March 17th, 2024, 08:02 PM

300 HP should be fairly easy to do without spending a ton of money. What part of the country/world are you located in? In my part of the world small block engines are pretty cheap. Maybe pickup a different one that isn't in such bad shape?
Old March 18th, 2024, 05:30 AM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Avoid Mondello Performance, not associated with Benard Mondello Racing. Yeah, that is the issue with Edelbrock heads fixed by the experts, too expensive to buy. The Procomp are good castings. The problem is the 81cc chambers on a 350. They will need milled a bunch to get decent compression and the intake adjusted or cut or the head face cut to fit the intake. Just get quality valves, retainers, keepers and springs to match your cam choice. The #5 are basically the same as your 7A heads for flow.
You will be spending money on a Elec fuel system if your going with speedmaster heads since you cannot use a mech fuel pump with them,
Old March 18th, 2024, 04:14 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Yeah an electric fuel pump is required with Procomp heads. For you goal, only mild upgrades, W31 valves and the bowls opened on your 7A heads is all that is needed.
Old March 18th, 2024, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Yeah an electric fuel pump is required with Procomp heads. For you goal, only mild upgrades, W31 valves and the bowls opened on your 7A heads is all that is needed.
Yeeeeup. Even Pro Comp stainless valves are only $110 on eBay. Get some name brand springs matched to the cam and you should be good to go. You'll still have ~$800 in a set of heads but won't have to mess with the fuel system.
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Yeeeeup. Even Pro Comp stainless valves are only $110 on eBay. Get some name brand springs matched to the cam and you should be good to go. You'll still have ~$800 in a set of heads but won't have to mess with the fuel system.
So after tearing the motor down all the way last night, the heads aren't as bad as I thought, ill still have them resurfaced and all whatnot. Now come to find out, a ring broke in half and scored up one of the 8 beautiful cylinders. Now to call around and see prices on this. I'll either go .30 over or sleeve the one cylinder.
Old March 19th, 2024, 12:23 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Olds 350 can go .100" on overbore. The Mahle forged piston is available in 4.100" and 4.155" oversizes. The DSS is available in 4.100" and 4.125" oversizes. The factory 24cc dish pistons are useless to get any compression. Take it to a machine shop and see if that cylinder is salvageable. Cutlassefi on here is great resource for parts and has brought multiple products like the Mahle forged pistons for the Olds 350.