Rochester 2GC from 72 Delta 350 should i rebuild myself?

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Rochester 2GC from 72 Delta 350 should i rebuild myself?

Hi, I own a 1972 delta 88 Royale Holiday Sedan that is in great condition, although it has a few problems i have been trying to figure out. This site has been a wealth of information as i am new to working on cars. My engine has hesitation in it. it begins to accelerate at the beginning of depressing the accelerator ok, and once i get past the hesitation point it accelerates fine as well. i have just about ruled out the ignition system and timing and vacuum. I have replaced plugs using the gap specified on the sticker, the plug wires cap and rotor. i set the timing using a timing light. i set the idle mixture screws until the vacuum was steady at 18 inches. timing is set at 8 BTDC. I just managed to get a hold of a Dwell/Tach and i will use that to double-check what i have done previously. I also have purchased an Accell points eliminator, but i have yet to install it. My question is, if i narrow down the problem to my Carb, Would it be smart for me to attempt to rebuild it myself, or should i send it off to someone? If i do rebuild it myself should i just ask for a rebuild kit for that model Carb, or are their other items i will need as well? I would like to do it myself so that i can learn how, but i do not wish to screw it up. Should i get one from a junkyard and rebuild that and save my original just in case? any advice would mean a lot to me.

thanks,
Eric
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Eric, it sounds like you are on the right track. If you need to rebuild your carburetor you can attempt it yourself. It sounds like you are pretty good with tools. When you get a rebuild kit from the auto parts store it comes with an exploded diagram of the carburetor and instructions for setting all of the adjustments. I suggest you rebuild it yourself. It will be a learning experience. Just make sure you do it in a clean garage and keep an eye on the small internal parts so you don't loose them.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Oldsdruid

Get a 1972 Chassis Service Manual if you don't have one. It will walk you thru the entire process. You'll need some carb cleaner and a source of compressed air to blow out passages and dry the carb before reassembly.

Make sure your distributor vacuum advance is functioning. It can cause off-idle hesitation.
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Eric, it sounds like you are on the right track. If you need to rebuild your carburetor you can attempt it yourself. It sounds like you are pretty good with tools. When you get a rebuild kit from the auto parts store it comes with an exploded diagram of the carburetor and instructions for setting all of the adjustments. I suggest you rebuild it yourself. It will be a learning experience. Just make sure you do it in a clean garage and keep an eye on the small internal parts so you don't loose them.
Olds64, I will take your advice. if i narrow it down to the Carb i will rebuild it myself.
Rocketraider, I see people mention a dunk tank of Carb cleaner. are they necessary or can a person use spray Carb cleaner? I have checked the Vacuum advance, it appears to be functioning. the timing and idle increases when the Vacuum advance is activated. Thanks to both of you for your advice. could there be any other causes for off idle hesitation? i have tried increasing the timing to see if it changed the hesitation with no change
Old November 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM

You don't need the large can of carburetor cleaner. It is nice but not necessary. You can use the spray can and a catch pan, and old toothbrush
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
You don't need the large can of carburetor cleaner. It is nice but not necessary. You can use the spray can and a catch pan, and old toothbrush
Thanks Olds64. i might end up trying this out this weekend