Salvage yard rescue 350 Olds/Seville

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:58 PM

Salvage yard rescue 350 Olds/Seville

I pulled the engine from a 77 Seville with fuel injection and I’m having a few issues I hope someone can help me with. It is an Oldsmobile engine and I’m converting it from FI to carbureted.
I’ve sourced a fuel pump and Chinese distributor from Amazon after being unable to find an OEM unit. I found an intake manifold on Marketplace.
The issues are:
There is no timing marks tab. Since the Seville had fuel injection and some kind of sensor on the distributor, was the tab not required? At any rate, I need one. I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find one. Any help here?
Rather than going with a Chinese replacement carburetor, I’m trying to find a rebuildable Q-jet. In the event I can’t, what would be the best substitute? I understand that I can use a squarebore carb on the spreadbore manifold.
I cleaned the oil pan out and was pleasantly surprised. The only thing in it was a little sludge in the sump. The odometer in the donor car read 82k. So far, it looks like that may be actual. While waiting for the distributor, I spun the oil pump with a drill. The oil pressure was 35-40 at probably 12-1500 rpm. I’m thinking that’s good.

Im hoping someone can help me with these two issues. I will be glad to share any information I can in the future.

Vance
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:54 AM

Check it out!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ly-hei-144118/

While I generally wouldn't recommend a Chinesium distributor, it's the same thing you can buy at an auto parts store. FWIW, you can't run a spreadbore carburetor on a squarebore intake manifold without an adapter. I suggest buying an aftermarket carburetor from Summit Racing or Jegs if you can't find a Quadrajet to rebuild.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 05:09 AM

Actually, it’s the other way around. Squarebore carb on a spreadbore intake. I wanted an Edelbrock 2711 but I found an nos 3711 for $150…it works.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 05:32 AM

Thank you for that link. I sent him an email.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 01:10 PM

Inline tube also sells the timing tab. Here's an ebay link: 64-72 Oldsmobile 442 Cutlass W-30 Timing Cover Tab Pointer Bracket Clip 350-455
Old May 5th, 2023, 02:36 PM

If you are looking to sell the factory FI setup, let know.
Old May 5th, 2023, 07:18 PM

I was wondering what to do with it. I don’t know where you live but I’m in Republic, MO, zip code 65738 and this setup weighs a ton! Shipping will be killer. What are your thoughts?
Old May 6th, 2023, 05:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

The Seville EFI system has several variations. The intakes were made in both cast iron and aluminum. The computer control is analog, not digital, and does not even use an O2 sensor for feedback. Most of the parts and sensors are no longer available new, and even finding correct injectors can be a challenge. The distributor is unique to the EFI setup and has a box cast into the housing below the main body where a separate RPM sensor is located. Of course, the biggest problem is that that intake actually flows worse than a stock 2bbl intake. I actually have most of one of these more as a collectable than to actually use it.
Old May 6th, 2023, 06:20 AM

So it should be worth thousands of dollars, right? 🤣
Old May 6th, 2023, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Seville EFI system has several variations. The intakes were made in both cast iron and aluminum. The computer control is analog, not digital, and does not even use an O2 sensor for feedback. Most of the parts and sensors are no longer available new, and even finding correct injectors can be a challenge. The distributor is unique to the EFI setup and has a box cast into the housing below the main body where a separate RPM sensor is located. Of course, the biggest problem is that that intake actually flows worse than a stock 2bbl intake. I actually have most of one of these more as a collectable than to actually use it.
did you flow the intake yourself or did you read that somewhere?
Old May 6th, 2023, 10:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
did you flow the intake yourself or did you read that somewhere?
That is based on what I have read. No, I do not have first-hand info. The bores for the throttle body are smaller than the ones on the GM TBI intakes. The actual intake body is a flat open plenum, similar to the crappy Offy intakes. Here are pictures of the iron and aluminum versions.

For comparison, here is the Offy.

Old June 3rd, 2023, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That is based on what I have read. No, I do not have first-hand info. The bores for the throttle body are smaller than the ones on the GM TBI intakes. The actual intake body is a flat open plenum, similar to the crappy Offy intakes. Here are pictures of the iron and aluminum versions.

For comparison, here is the Offy.

you shouldn’t believe what you read on the interwebs..you’re spreading bs. Stick to what you know, part numbers and the manuals

ive flowed both the iron and aluminum FI intakes, they both flow well over 200cfm. that’s because they are wide open and have no runners to speak of and draw from both sides of the throttle body…

I’ll post pics and flow numbers for each . Why post a pic of an offy? It’s got nothing to do with the Olds FI intake,, you are spreading bs you’ve read online.

Old March 4th, 2024, 12:11 PM

You need an A4 intake from a hurst. I have a new one sitting around for the same conversion but decided on something else. It’s available