Front Wheel Hub Play?

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2020, 05:51 PM

Front Wheel Hub Play?

Had an issue with a front wheel bearing so I replaced both front L and R with new bearings, races and spindle washers. Followed the procedure in the CSM for drum brake assemblies for preload/adjustment. After installing the wheel I noticed a very slight amount of play at the 12 and 6 positions only while 9 and 3 are solid. For this I would normally lean towards ball joint however all of my suspension components have been replaced with new (center link, idler, tie rods, upper/lower arms, springs, shocks, sway bar and links). I attempted to check for any play in the ball joints or tie rods to be safe but all seem to be solid without any movement. For a fresh install of bearings and races, is there a tolerance of 12 and 6 o'clock movement of any degree? When I did this check, the front was jacked up on stands and the front suspension was hanging. Should I be checking in a different manner?
Old June 12th, 2020, 06:36 PM

There will be some movement but if it is in the wheel bearings it should occur and be equal at any wheel clock position. As a test only, you could snug a wheel bearing a little tighter and see if it changes the play, readjust the bearing before driving though. Any movement in the wheel bearing increases the farther away from center its measured e.g., a larger tire would move more than a smaller one giving the illusion of more play in the bearing.

Good luck!!!
Old June 12th, 2020, 07:21 PM
Administrator

I've always tightened them until there is no freeplay and they spin freely.