200-4R Yoke stuck on output shaft

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:49 AM

200-4R Yoke stuck on output shaft

Got everything out of my 200-4R except the part that needs the special Low/Reverse clutch tool.
The last part I got out was the sun gear shell and sun gear.
Basically I'm at Row C all the way to the right of this diagram.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/gr...pdf/200-4R.pdf

I have a yoke attached to my rear shaft, and I can't get it off. :screwup:
Did I miss something or shouldn't the yoke just come off the output shaft at any point in time ??
The shaft moves but is locking up against something too.....thought it would fall out.

What am I possibly facing here as far as the reason ??

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 23rd, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Interesting that your yoke has bolt-on straps for the U-joint. Is there a bolt in the center holding it to the output shaft? I've never seen one there on a 200-4R, since these are only used with two-part driveshafts.

Assuming there is no bolt, varnish built up on the yoke is sticking in the output bushing. Use a block of wood and a "fine adjustment hammer". There's nothing holding it in place other than crud.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:01 AM

Yeah I just yanked the sh** out of it as soon as I got home, and the bastid came off. LMAO......

I posted this before leaving work in case I went straight to bed I'd have a possible solution by 3pm.
Thought maybe the splines were fubard.....

Thanks
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but that is a pic of a T400. I have one out of a RV that has the bolt on yoke like that one. Also a 200 R4 does not have a removable tail housing.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by oldsfromyell
Correct me if I am wrong
Don't know, just google a pic for a yoke for reference.....force of habit.

Yes, the 200-4R is a solid body housing with no removable tail section.
I have mine in pieces on a table waiting on a low/reverse tool now.
Old December 4th, 2013, 05:45 PM

i realize that this is an ancient thread, but i just ran into the same problem with a stuck yoke on an old 2004r. the u joint is still there (no bolt-on straps), but i can't see or feel any sort of fastener that would be holding it on the output shaft. i've already tried the adjustment hammer. no luck. if i pry on it, it moves a hair, but i think it's probably just the whole shaft moving with the yoke. i don't think i should use the hammer to persuade it any more than i'v already tried. maybe a bigger pry bar for more leverage, but i'm thinking maybe a torch to try to break it free from whatever it's sticking to?
Old December 7th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Soak it good with fluid of choice. Prying might break the housing, unless very careful. A light heating and tapping should do the trick, probably rusted up.
Old December 7th, 2013, 10:31 AM

thanks. i hit it with some fluid earlier this week, and i'll spray it again before i start pounding on it again. i'm not sure how much good it will do though. with the real seal in place, it doesn't seem like the oil will get to the yoke splines to do its job. it will get plenty of time to soak though. it looks like it's going to be too cold to do any work for a while.
Old December 7th, 2013, 06:34 PM

Use a cable style come-along, hook it onto the yoke and around the rear end housing. Put a little tension on it, and give it a couple hits with a hammer. I wouldn't think it would take much to get it to come free. I had to do this to a Trans Am I bought for parts years ago. I had been hit hard in the rear, bad enough to bend the driveshaft. The yoke was shoved in there pretty good.
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks matt. I hadnt considered rear end damage causing it to stick, but that makes a lot of sense. The price was right for this trans (free), but I was told it had come out of a derby car. So, I can guarantee the rear end was completely trashed. It could be a lost cause, but at the very least it'll work as a free core for a rebuilt unit.