Clunk from yoke

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2023, 08:12 AM

Clunk from yoke

Ok, so I've been hearing a clunk when the car goes into gear, starts from a stop, or I shift into gear. I'm not even really sure where to start to fix this as I'm pretty sure there is way to much play in the yoke *at the transmission. Video is included. Thanks

ETA: Really looking for more Youtube videos or something that has a walkthrough of fixing if possible.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
20230219_130508.mov (4.45 MB, 8 views)

Last edited by Aragorn; February 20th, 2023 at 09:00 AM.
Old February 20th, 2023, 08:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Be SURE it's not a worn u-joint, which is the most likely cause. If that's the case, it's an easy fix. If the slop is really in the rear axle, it could be worn bearings or worn gears. Either way, that's a rebuild of the rear end.
Old February 20th, 2023, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Be SURE it's not a worn u-joint, which is the most likely cause. If that's the case, it's an easy fix. If the slop is really in the rear axle, it could be worn bearings or worn gears. Either way, that's a rebuild of the rear end.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The play is coming in where the yoke meets the transmission (why I included the video.) You can hear it about a second and a half after I switch between reverse and drive in the video.

Last edited by Aragorn; February 20th, 2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aragorn
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. The play is coming in where the yoke meets the transmission (why I included the video.) You can hear it about a second and a half after I switch between reverse and drive in the video.
The only way there's "slop" in the trans is if the planetary gear sets are worn. I suspect that is not the cause of the clunk. I couldn't get the video to play without downloading and saving it first, and I was not inclined to do that on my computer.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:12 AM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11md...usp=share_link Testing to see if this works maybe. It works for me at least.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aragorn
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11md...usp=share_link Testing to see if this works maybe. It works for me at least.
That works. The motion at the front is normal. The clunk is not coming from there. Again, check the rear U-joint and the pinion yoke on the rear axle. Jack the rear off the ground, set the parking brake, and with the trans in neutral, try moving the driveshaft back and forth by hand while looking at the rear u-joint and pinion yoke.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:31 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Definitely a bad UJoint, really bad.
Get under it and grab the shaft and wiggle. I'm surprised it hasn't exploded yet or vibrated you out of the car at highway speeds.
Do both ends at the same time.
Buy Spicer or other USA-made joints. Use blue Loctite on the saddle clamp(cleaned) bolts.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:37 AM

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I'll take a look this weekend and start shopping.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Definitely a bad UJoint, really bad.
Get under it and grab the shaft and wiggle. I'm surprised it hasn't exploded yet or vibrated you out of the car at highway speeds.
Do both ends at the same time.
Buy Spicer or other USA-made joints. Use blue Loctite on the saddle clamp(cleaned) bolts.
X2, yes it clearly looks to be a bad ujoint. It also looks to be the original ujoint as I think I see the plastic **** are still in place.
Old February 20th, 2023, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
X2, yes it clearly looks to be a bad ujoint. It also looks to be the original ujoint as I think I see the plastic **** are still in place.
Pretty sure it's original, the car basically sat for 20 years after my great grandmother passed and I don't think my uncle or grandfather did much to it after that. I need to do the front bushings as well it looks like and while tie rod ends passed inspection may look at doing those as well maybe this year.