Ongoing Hurst Dual Gate questions

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2024, 07:44 AM

Ongoing Hurst Dual Gate questions

Well, I've messed with my Dual Gate shifter some and it's still not adjusted to where I want it to be. But, I have spent most of my time working on stripping and priming the body and done a little bodywork to prepare to paint the 442.

My question, how did they adjust these shifters and the linkage on the line? I'm sure they might have only had a couple minutes to adjust each car's shifters and transmissions. Most comments on here say to just keep playing with it and you'll get it. I'm thinking there had to be a factory procedure to adjust the Hurst Dual Gate shifter and get it right the first time. Is there any documentation of that factory process. Or, are there any workers still around from that time that could relay the procedure that was used?

Right now. my car sitting in my garage, set in Park, will roll backwards without the parking brake set.

OLE442
Old March 3rd, 2024, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

OEM or aftermarket shifter and cable?
Old March 3rd, 2024, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

And yes, the process is the same with a Dual Gate. If you have aftermarket parts that aren't quite correct, that might be the problem.

Old March 3rd, 2024, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
OEM or aftermarket shifter and cable?
Dual Gate is original to the car from factory, cable NOS GM replacement due to me effing up the original! I bought the GM cable before 2000!
4 speeds are so much easier! 😂
OLE442
Old March 3rd, 2024, 12:10 PM

Thanks Joe, I see if I can make this work. I may have seen this in my books but would have thought the process different for a Dual Gate!

OLE442
Old March 4th, 2024, 06:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLE442
Thanks Joe, I see if I can make this work. I may have seen this in my books but would have thought the process different for a Dual Gate!

OLE442
There is nothing magic about the dual gate (or Lightning Rods, or any AT shifter). The trans still has only one gear selector shaft that operates through a fixed range of motion. That means that no matter what shifter you have, the transmission end of the cable still needs to move by exactly the same amount to select gears. Aftermarket parts can have the wrong lever arm on the brackets, but factory parts will be correct. I assume the bracket on the trans selector shaft is OEM, along with the bracket that holds the cable to the trans pan bolts?
Old March 4th, 2024, 10:44 AM

Joe:

I'd imagine the linkage and other tranny parts are original equipment sine my brother bought it from the original owner in Houston, Texas back in the mid 80's and it only has 47,700 approx. original miles on it. The only exception is the shift cable that I messed up and replaced with a NOS correct (in the plastic GM wrapper) cable. It has the original motor and I believe Turbo 400 (I need to see if I can find the number on it when it's up on the lift). I'll look at the adjustment soon using the page ou sent me.

Thanks, OLE442
Old March 4th, 2024, 12:20 PM

Adjusting procedure here for dual gates. This is actually 68-69 H/O dual gates, but procedure should still work. Only difference is Hurst says put trans lever in neutral by hand with sliding nut loose. Put shifter in neutral, then tighten down trans lever adjustment bolt. 6 of one, half dozen of the other IMO since they all have to go into every gear. Hurst pretty much wanted you to do the neutral adjustment on all their automatic shifters IIRC. Does it matter? Who knows? After you're in park, make sure that the backdrive rod puts the column in position to lock the wheel and take the key out.

Hurst Dual/Gate Shifter (hurstolds.org)

Old March 4th, 2024, 12:45 PM

My car has all original Dual Gate parts and adjusting it to get Park on one end of the range and 1st on the other end still takes many cycles of adjusting, trying, and readjusting to get it right. And any slop in the backdrive linkage adds to the effort.
Old March 4th, 2024, 06:48 PM

I think I was able to get mine adjusted by setting the neutral on both the shifter and tranny.
I think because it's centered at that point, the travel of the shifter will determine the endpoints correctly.
Old March 25th, 2024, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by tkcutlass
I think I was able to get mine adjusted by setting the neutral on both the shifter and tranny.
I think because it's centered at that point, the travel of the shifter will determine the endpoints correctly.
That's the key. Just went through this on mine over the weekend. It's tied into a 700r with a shift works bracket but basically the procedure is simply set both in neutral. With the aftermarket there was an adjustment for length at the transmission end by it wasn't but a 10 minute process probably.

Hell of a lot more straightforward than the following hour long saga of realizing a floor shift 72 still uses a column shift neutral safety switch. Previous aftermarket shifter had a neutral safety on it. Now I have order all new linkages after canning all the drive linkages 20 years ago