Ran engine 5 mins. with Jetaway super low on fluid

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2024, 03:08 PM
1964vistacruiserwagon

Ran engine 5 mins. with Jetaway super low on fluid

I started my 1964 330 and ran it 5 minutes to circulate new antifreeze/coolant. Then realized my jetaway tranny was very low on fluid as I had let it drain out thru the metal lines going to radiator. I drained it for a radiator removal and recore. Car would not move when in gear, then I realized I forgot to add tranny fluid. Any downside of this happening?
Old January 7th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mathon
I started my 1964 330 and ran it 5 minutes to circulate new antifreeze/coolant. Then realized my jetaway tranny was very low on fluid as I had let it drain out thru the metal lines going to radiator. I drained it for a radiator removal and recore. Car would not move when in gear, then I realized I forgot to add tranny fluid. Any downside of this happening?
"Probably" not since the car was NOT driven under load. You'll soon find out though when you fill it up.
Old January 7th, 2024, 03:14 PM

Probably going to be ok if the only loss was through the cooler lines. Add fluid and give it a try.
Old January 8th, 2024, 12:09 PM
1964vistacruiserwagon

Added 2 quarts of dextron III to bring it up to full and it seems to go in gear fine. Engine RPM drops in gear like normal. Before I could move the selector and nothing, it was just like I never moved it out of park. So I would guess the converter oil pump didnt break. As it now pressurizes the forward/reverse bands. I am unable to drive it as its in storage and there are cars in front and back of me. But I can feel it go into gear.
Old January 8th, 2024, 12:17 PM

You are very likely good to go, as Norm VC said if it was in gear, driven and loaded it would have a different ending.
Old January 8th, 2024, 02:19 PM
Running On Empty

You're fortunate it was not run completely dry while driving under load. The fact it now goes into gear fwd & bkwds is good news. When you are able to drive the car, drive it slowly for 50' to 100'. Shift & drive both in a forward gear & reverse gear - slowly. Allow the vehicle to reach operating temperature. Take an additional reading of the transmission fluid when at operating temperature - top off as required. Then, take it for five mile ride - stop & shift into reverse a couple times. When you return take one final transmission fluid reading adjusting fluid level as required.
Old January 8th, 2024, 09:32 PM
1964vistacruiserwagon

Thanks for the help and advice everyone! I was working on the car and reinstalled the original radiator after a re-core. Had no idea the trans cooler in the bottom of the rad and the lines dripping would amount to 2 quarts of fluid loss. I thought the trans oil cooler maybe held 1 quart.

Last edited by mathon; January 8th, 2024 at 09:35 PM.