TH350 Kickdown Cable Identification

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2020, 09:22 AM

TH350 Kickdown Cable Identification

I had a local transmission shop swap out my failing Jetaway for a TH350 in my 68 Cutlass. The shop did not attach the lockdown cable, but the owner told me that it was the style that attaches to the carb via a bracket. I am attaching two photos of this cable.

Can you confirm that this attaches to the carb and not to the pedal?

Old December 14th, 2020, 09:56 AM

The black plastic piece with the square tabs sure looks like it would connect to a carburetor mounted bracket.
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:22 AM

I agree, looks like a carb mount style replacement.

The proper firewall mount style has a mounting tab similar to the throttle cable, and has a sliding tab that grips the cable for adjustment It’s been a long time since I messed with one, my memory is a little fuzzy
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
The black plastic piece with the square tabs sure looks like it would connect to a carburetor mounted bracket.
That is what I thought, too, but I think that the style that hooks up to the gas pedal has a square fitting, too.

I expected this cable to have a slotted fitting on the end to attach to the carb based upon other photos I have seen, but it looks like the brass fitting attaches to the carb and that the length is adjusted very simply by tightening the screw.
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:25 AM

I found this online, this is the clip I was describing. A picture is worth a 1000 words!
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:28 AM

Thanks, Matt! I agree. It definitely does not look like the pedal style from that photo.

Now I just need to find the right bracket.
Old December 14th, 2020, 10:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 69-72 Cutlass cars ran the TH350 kickdown cable to the accelerator pedal, not the carb. I've done the TH350 conversion on a 68 and you can use the same parts. You need to cut a square hole in the firewall below the accelerator cable. You need a correct TH350 pedal also. The repro houses sell the correct Oldsmobile cable. Note that the TH350 pedal has the extra tab for the second cable.

Old December 14th, 2020, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 69-72 Cutlass cars ran the TH350 kickdown cable to the accelerator pedal, not the carb. I've done the TH350 conversion on a 68 and you can use the same parts. You need to cut a square hole in the firewall below the accelerator cable. You need a correct TH350 pedal also. The repro houses sell the correct Oldsmobile cable. Note that the TH350 pedal has the extra tab for the second cable.
Joe, thanks for the detailed explanation with photos and the link to the proper cable.

I am planning to swap the intake / carb to the Edelbrock Performer and a Holley Street Warrior carb over the holidays when I finally have some time off work. Eventually, when I have time to do a full engine rebuild, I intend to switch to a Holley Sniper.

Both the Sniper and the Street Warrior carb have the TH350 cable attachment point. If I am doing this, is there any reason to switch the cable to the pedal style from the cable that came with my transmission?
Old December 14th, 2020, 11:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by NTXOlds
If I am doing this, is there any reason to switch the cable to the pedal style from the cable that came with my transmission?
So long as the throttle arm provides the right cable pull ratio, it will work fine.
Old December 14th, 2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So long as the throttle arm provides the right cable pull ratio, it will work fine.
Thanks, Joe. I will try this first using the cable that came on the transmission. I can always buy a new cable for the pedal version if it doesn't work.
Old December 30th, 2020, 06:25 AM

Just an update for future reference.

After changing my intake and carb to an Edelbrock Performer and Holley Street Warrior, here are the parts that were needed to connect my factory throttle cable and my TH350 kick down cable to my carb.

Spectre Performance 24283 Throttle Cable Bracket - This has adjustable brackets for both the throttle and kick down cable. I got mine at AutoZone, but it is available at Amazon, too. It bolts up to the base of the carb, and the adjustable set screw is really valuable for getting the alignment correct. I highly recommend this. The Mr. Gasket version does not have an adjustment for the throttle cable, and would not work.
Amazon Amazon

Here is the Holley part for attaching the kick down cable to the carb.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...ge/parts/20-40

Old February 4th, 2024, 08:30 AM

NTX, do you have a pick of that Spectre Bracket on your Edelbrock Performer with the TH350 Kickdown cable?
Old February 4th, 2024, 10:54 AM

@Rgdickson Here is a photo of the Spectre bracket with the Performer and the TH350 lockdown cable. It worked fine. It flexed more than I wanted, and I wasn't happy with the return spring setup despite trying various setups on both sides of the throttle.

I ended up switching to a Holley bracket which worked much better. It uses two of the carb bolts, so it is rock solid secure, and it is very adjustable.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-20-112

Old February 4th, 2024, 01:34 PM

th350 hookup 1971 Cutlass Supreme

Found that it was already there at peddle but not hooked up, going to get a retainer grommet and try there first thanks