Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

324 engine rebuild opinions

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:34 AM

324 engine rebuild opinions

We're going to a shop that is familiar with the 50s Rocket engines and does everything from stock to race engines. Just wondering if there are any opinions out there on how a 324 should be built up or other considerations. Stick with totally factory stock, or maybe a different cam or any valvetrain improvements for modern gas, etc? I'm not real familiar with these engines, car is my father's. We definitely don't want to do anything radical and will retain stock look, but are open to changing the internals a little if it's an improvement. Car will be gently driven a little on weekends in the summer, sit in the winter etc, nothing special and has the hydramatic trans. Engine is the original and has been sitting apart in storage for years Thanks.
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:58 PM

The one thing you almost have to do is have the valves ground for the new unleaded gas. I would just leave the internals the same, no need to change anything that is going to be driven gently,you will still cruse at 75-80 if need be, after all it's lasted 50+ years the way Old's made it and it will last another 50 if driven the same way. Your engine puts out a little over 200 HP and thats plenty for a neat cruiser.
See you in the fifties It's a great place to meet friends......Tedd
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:52 PM

I agree with Tedd. I'd have it rebuilt with mainly stock components with the exception of the hardened valve seats for unleaded gas. I'm assuming your car is a 4 barrel carburetor. If not I would switch to one(factory setup). I'd go for a good set of dual exhaust when done, and also depending on how comfortable you are with points, you may want to look into a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion. It should have more than enough power for a good weekend cruiser.
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:18 AM

I guess this will open up the un-leaded gas controversy once again. Hoever, if you are getting heads done and have the cash, hard seats are a good idea anyway.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by okie88
I agree with Tedd. I'd have it rebuilt with mainly stock components with the exception of the hardened valve seats for unleaded gas. I'm assuming your car is a 4 barrel carburetor. If not I would switch to one(factory setup). I'd go for a good set of dual exhaust when done, and also depending on how comfortable you are with points, you may want to look into a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion. It should have more than enough power for a good weekend cruiser.
Dual exhaust are very doable on a 55 but a PITA to do because of the vacuum tank on the left hand frame rail (if your car has power brakes), be prepared to pay extra for this conversion.
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Jen

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Dual exhaust are very doable on a 55 but a PITA to do because of the vacuum tank on the left hand frame rail (if your car has power brakes), be prepared to pay extra for this conversion.
Agree with all of the above. Definitely get rid of those pesky points...quick and easy. Just had my heads redone. Runs like a champ and can hang with any boring ol'sb350.

Dual exhaust is costing me $350 instead of $250 on my 55 because of cutting through the frame, but worth it!!
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:44 PM

This past weekend we went down to speak with Tony at Ross Racing Engines in Niles, OH, just across town from my father's place. Very impressive shop and work, takes care of everything carb to pan and detailing so saves us sending out the carb, balancer, etc for rebuild. When we're ready in a few months, we may go with 56 heads on the original 55 block since we are not looking for 100% numbers matching. From what I've heard the 56s were an improved design and look the same once the valve covers are on. Will just keep the originals under the bench. The plan for now is to also stay with the stock exhaust with the front crossover pipe. Originally was a 4GC 4bbl and will stay with that setup. Spent the rest of the weekend sorting out parts we'll use and setting the excess stuff aside. Took some pics of the car in primer, will post them up later in a new thread.
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM

change the cam to get a suitable idle!