Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

extended search 55 hood up date

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM

extended search 55 hood up date

Most of my local leads have turned up with dented and or rusted out hulks. I'm moving my search to all states now (my insurance is paying for it) and I want to thank all that have given me leads,we are following up on them now. It seems to me that my agent ( old Grundy new Philadelphia Indemnity) has very little experience or contacts in fifties era cars,I shouldn't have to worry about this but I don't want to be holding my breath till Christmas while my car gets done or I get some POS that I have to live with for the rest of my life.Everything my agent has found so far has been about the price of a whole parts car $1200-$1800 plus freight and he ,they, aren't going for it at this time. I'm not sure what the marker price is for a usable hood today but $500- $600 is what I remember in the past., maybe they have doubled, it's been a while since I was chasing this kind of part anyway that is where I stand at this point....The bid goes on.....Tedd
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Have you checked with these folks? If I remember right they have a wrecking yard with lots of 1950's-60's vintage stuff. John

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...urst-olds.html
Old March 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM

2blu442,

Yes this was one of the first places I checked, good people(John and M'Lisa)
and they had two or three but all were toast around the trim area .

Thanks for the lead or the thought anyway....Tedd
Old March 24th, 2012, 02:55 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Get the insurance to pink up $1500 for the hood (they probably want to get on with it at this point), buy a parts car for $2500 and then you have all the rest for $1000.
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by pcard
Get the insurance to pink up $1500 for the hood (they probably want to get on with it at this point), buy a parts car for $2500 and then you have all the rest for $1000.
I have a lead on two Oldsmobile's that are setting in a field that I'm going to see Monday. The gent who gave me this lead doesn't know if they are 54, 55 or 56's or if they are even for sale or if one is a parts car. So that thought has run through my mind and at this point my wife would probably give me the go a head for a parts car to park in the yard. I have five acres but most of it is straight up and down so space is at a optimum or so she thinks....Tedd
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I hope they are both '55s.
It is most important to get clearnace from those who must be obeyed. I cleaned out a few boxes in the garage today - old stuff of my Mom's. I put a few crystal vases on the shelf in the living room. When the wife came home it was made clear what a mistake I had made. If yours is like mine she is probably worried that one parts car will immacuately conceive others.
Maybe get a cover and have the local highschool art class paint it so it looks like a Bentley (hey - there's an idea!).
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM

Tedd, I've got a 55 98 for sale that has a decent hood. It has surface rust top and bottem but no rust thru, and the hinges work good. I'm asking $875.00 for the whole car. You can see pictures at www.oldsmobilecarsandparts.com . (It's the green/white 98 sedan) It's located in Oklahoma City.
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Okie - Nice. Those cars look like they're in really decent shape.
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM

try www.dvap.com its desert valley auto parts they have a ton of stuff......john
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodj54
try www.dvap.com its desert valley auto parts they have a ton of stuff......john
Tried Desert Valley on Wednesday and talked to this sub-human on the order desk who informed me that he had two hoods showing in inventory and would get back to me on condition in a couple hours. I called back on Thursday afternoon and he jumped down my neck yelling at me he would call me back when he had the time to go look. I didn't burn any bridges at this time because he said he had two hoods but what a *** h%&....Still no call back.....Tedd
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by okie88
Tedd, I've got a 55 98 for sale that has a decent hood. It has surface rust top and bottom but no rust thru, and the hinges work good. I'm asking $875.00 for the whole car. You can see pictures at www.oldsmobilecarsandparts.com . (It's the green/white 98 sedan) It's located in Oklahoma City.
I would love do something with your car but the logistics are impossible for a complete car. Have you thought of selling just the hood, I could probably get most of what you are asking for the whole car, should make the sale of the rest easy...Just a thought and thanks for posting.....Tedd
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Tedd, I just don't have any time available to pull the hood and make up a crate that would be suitable for shipping. My business is keeping me busy 7 days a week right now, and will for at least another month. I would imagine that for somebody like me with limited carpenter skills it would take 3-4 hours to build a crate that would withstand the abuse freight companies can dish out. If you can find someone to take handle the prep, I would make you a deal on just the hood.
Old March 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I have a lead on two Oldsmobile's that are setting in a field that I'm going to see Monday. The gent who gave me this lead doesn't know if they are 54, 55 or 56's or if they are even for sale or if one is a parts car. So that thought has run through my mind and at this point my wife would probably give me the go a head for a parts car to park in the yard. I have five acres but most of it is straight up and down so space is at a optimum or so she thinks....Tedd
Just got back from chasing the two 55's and either would work but the owner won't sell. They will set there till they rust to the ground, what a shame. I offered way more than what the incomplete one was worth and no dice...The bid goes on....Tedd
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Ted:

You might give these guys a try. I have heard they are high and I a little dealing with them on a brake drum for $90. I have talked to them on the phone and I don't think they will be as rude as Desert Valley. I know they have some 55's in their yard.

http://ctcautoranch.com/index.html
Old March 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM

up date on the up date

First of all I want to thank all of you who have posted leads on this thread
A quick up date I have turned the car ( responsibility) over to the people who will be doing the body work, Concours Elite . This place looks as good as it sounds, I''m a little intimated, they build or repair million dollar cars here. Makes me want to shine and polish my car before I drop it off kind of like cleaning the house before the house keeper comes so she doesn't think your a slob. I talked to the owner while he gave me a tour of the place said he had lots of contacts and he felt the hood was no problem, my car would be returned better than before it was wrecked. Sounds good to me , glad I'm not paying for this I can hear the dollars falling out of someones pockets as we walked together.

For those who were wondering about Desert Auto they finally gave me a call back four days after they said they would and everything they had was toast, but they did call.

Well I think that is it for today... Thanks again ...Tedd
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM

aslong as it works out is all that matters, glad you found a shop that can take care of it. im suprised dvap was such a hassle, but good help is getting harder to find nowadays............john