Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1970 Rallye 350 on Craigslist in SF Bay Area - Not Mine - Posting for interest

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:59 PM

1970 Rallye 350 on Craigslist in SF Bay Area - Not Mine - Posting for interest

Not My Car: Just posting Ad:
Saw this ad on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area Northern CA. Supposedly has a dealer installed Vinyl Top and Chrome bumpers. $19500 is his asking price. Just putting out the ad, as I know there is always someone looking for these cars.
Steve

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...874737518.html

Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:40 PM

Barn find!!!
This 1970 Cutlass Rallye 350 with Ram Air is ready to see the light again.
A couple of things that are after market changes/additions. The Tachometer (clamped to the steering column- no gauges were changed) and had the bumpers chromed. The black vinyl top was added by the Oldsmobile dealership before I bought the car off the showroom floor in San Jose. Original owner, title in hand and clean. The only other after market add-on are the 8 track stereo & speakers and air shocks to accommodate larger tires in the rear.

Driven it into garage 30 years ago and was Working fine.
One small seam opening on the drivers side front seat- see picture of front seat drivers side.
Wow someone is going to get their dream car!

Item specifics
Condition: Used Year: 1970
Transmission: Automatic Make: Oldsmobile
Vehicle Title: Clear Trim: Rallye 350
Safety Features: Power Steering, Power Brakes Engine: 350
Power Options: Air Conditioning Drive Type: RWD
Fuel Type: Gasoline For Sale By: Owner
Exterior Color: Yellow Disability Equipped: No
Interior Color: Black Drive Side: Left-hand drive
Number of Cylinders: 8
1970 Cutlass W-45 Rallye 350 Ram Air #'s Match Factory A/C SS wheels Original

this is an original 1970 Oldsmobile W-45 Rallye 350. Production of the Rallye 350 holiday coupe was only 2,527. This particular car has only 70k miles and is original except for the spoiler- which we have. There are not many unrestored originals left today.

The Rallye 350 was introduced on February 18, 1970, by Oldsmobile General Manager John Beltz and made its debut at the 1970 Chicago Auto Show. However, some were built as early as the second week of January 1970. The car consisted of option package, the L74 350 V-8 engine, N34 Custom Sport steering wheel, D35 sport mirrors, FE2 Rallye suspension, N10 dual exhaust and W35 rear deck air spoiler. All of these items would have been included on a true Rallye 350.
This particular Rallye 350 is an Unrestored Original.
This special Oldsmobile has been well preserved throughout its life and has been garage kept. The paint still presents well for the age. This original Rallye 350 car has all original sheet metal. The interior is very clean and tidy. The underside of the car is all original and has not been painted yet. The metal is solid and original.

Powered by the original Numbers Matching L-74 Ram Air 350 Rocket V8, this car is some driving machine. Mechanically, you could not ask for a better muscle car. If you are in the market for a rare Oldsmobile Ram Air car at a reasonable price, this is the muscle car for you.
Problem is, $19.5k is what these go for restored, not sitting in a garage for 30 years. He should knock 10k off.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:54 PM

it mentions the bumpers have been re-chromed, that won't help the value, as well as the vinyl top
Old May 3rd, 2019, 08:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

The dealer probably had to add the vinyl top and chrome the bumpers to sell it in 1970. What a shame. No doubt he is high at $19,500.
Old May 4th, 2019, 07:56 AM

The Olds dealer I worked at in the ‘70s couldn’t give these cars away. They ended up swapping the yellow bumpers for chrome ones to sell them. I don’t recall any with the vinyl roof added though.
Old May 4th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Always room for one more

Love how the vinyl roof goes right over the stripe on the quarter panel.

The Plymouth people couldn't give away the Superbirds, either. They did the same thing, change out the nose, remove the wing, look at those cars now.
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Love how the vinyl roof goes right over the stripe on the quarter panel.

The Plymouth people couldn't give away the Superbirds, either. They did the same thing, change out the nose, remove the wing, look at those cars now.
This is an urban legend. If you swap out the nose, you also have to swap out the front fenders.

Dealers were not in the business to commit to this expense.

Old May 4th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Always room for one more

Not so sure but I won't argue with you. Fenders aren't such a big deal, especially if the dealer had the car on the lot for an extended amount of time...
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:38 AM

The Superbird had Coronet fenders. Do you think the dealer would rather knock off $500 or go through the expense of obtaining Coronet fenders and painting them so they would mismatch the rest of the car?

No documented Superbird went through this. It's simply a rumor that won't go away.
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Always room for one more

Okay dude you win.
Old May 4th, 2019, 11:44 AM

This isn't a contest. Did it turn into one?