Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

*** 1970 W30 W27 4-speed *** Documented

Search this Thread

Old February 29th, 2020, 06:05 PM

*** 1970 W30 W27 4-speed *** Documented

***** SOLD *****

Due to inquiries and feedback I have decided to change the way I am going to sell this car and collection of parts. I am going to start selling the off the parts separately. A package deal is still an option, but obviously in that scenario the price would be fluid depending on what I have left at the time of any sale. I will try to post a full listing of the parts in the Parts For Sale section of the forum soon.

**Moderators, please let me know if placing a full listing of the parts that I have for sale in the Parts For Sale section would be against forum rules, as I will absolutely respect the rules of the forum.**
**Also, due to the major change in how I will be selling the car and parts, if you'd like to take this current listing down please feel free to do so.**

***Package Sale***

1970 Olds 442 W30 W27 4-speed - Highly documented, 31,000 original miles, two owners + Big 1970-72 Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / W30 parts haul

Over the past thirty-eight years I have owned many 1970 Olds W30s and W31s. For the past ten years this particular original never restored 1970 Olds 442 W30 has served me very well as a reference car for a number of 1970 442 and W30 restorations. Now though after much thought over past couple of years, I have made the decision to move on to other interests. So, the Olympic Olds 442 W30 W27 4-speed car is now for sale.

The Parts: Along the way I have collected a lot of parts for these particular cars. So the new owner of the car is also going to be acquiring a lot of parts. Just a few of the parts included: Engines - 1970 Olds 350 and 455s, bare Engine Blocks - 1970 Olds 455s, Transmissions - 1970 OG TH400 Automatic, 2 M21 4-speed Manuals. A complete 1970 TM code 3.42 rear-end. Loads of engine, steering, suspension, brake, and body parts like a mint tilt steering column, 1970 hoods, fenders, trunk lids, front and rear bumpers, original rear spoilers, 1970 sport mirrors and full tinted and clear glass sets. Interior parts include: a near mint original sport steering wheel, mint condition original 1970 4-speed console, rebuilt and bolt-in ready 1970-72 Hurst 4-speed shifter, a complete excellent condition black buckets and rear seat set with nice matching interior door panels, like new working radios, a mint condition original 8-track player and an excellent Rally Pac gauge set. Also included are a number of W30 engine parts: F heads, W30 intakes, W30 carb, W30 distributor, W30 open faced alternator. Mint original OAI Ram Air and standard hoods, complete original OAI Ram-Air setups. Wheel sets - XT, SSI, SSII. NOS parts include: NOS wheel opening trim sets, a pair of NOS 1970 flat top fenders, NOS rocker panels, NOS poverty cap set, and much more. Plus loads of other quality 1968-1972 Cutlass/442 parts! There are far more parts included than what I can list here and show with the twenty picture limit. I know that any potential buyer is going to want to know what he is getting for his money. To address that I have inventoried the parts and created an Excel spreadsheet listing the parts included in this sale. I will send the Excel spreadsheet document out to anyone that is seriously interested. Please keep in mind, at this time I am not interested in selling off individual parts, I want it all to go in one sale.

The Car: I am the second documented owner of this incredible W30. It has been referred to as "The Olympic Olds W30." It was a known Chicago street car that was sold new from Olympic Olds of Chicago in March of 1970. The car still retains the Olympic Olds of Chicago dealership decal on the trunk lid. If an Oldsmobile collector could order a 1970 442 W30s today I believe it would look very much like this one. Color: code 28 Twilight Blue with black stripes and black bench seat interior. Options: W30 engine, very rare W27 SZ code 3.91 aluminum rear-end, 4-speed manual transmission, XT body color painted steel wheels with lug covers (dog-dish caps), manual steering, manual brakes, sport steering wheel, tinted windows, AM/FM radio. Most of the paint that you see on the car is original factory paint.

The original owner told me that in the early summer of 1971 the engine started smoking while on a trip up into Wisconsin. Once back home in Chicago he took the car in to the original dealership (Olympic Olds of Chicago) to diagnose the problem. The dealership replaced the block under warranty with a service block…this is DOCUMENTED. I have the dealer service invoice for the service block and work! The owner drove the car for another three years until he parked it for good in 1974 with just 31,242 documented miles on it. The car has not been driven since. Sometime after the original owner quit driving the car and while it was parked outside, thieves stole the hood, the OAI air cleaner set-up and the carburetor. When I discovered the car the fact that these three parts were missing was a non-issue for me because I had nice originals sitting on the shelf at home. A super nice 7040256 W30 4-speed carburetor and two really nice complete OAI systems are included. The hood that you see on the car in the pictures is just a beat up original OAI hood that I had laying around at the time that I bought the car. I bolted it on just to keep the engine bay buttoned up while the car was in storage. Two mint condition original 1970 OAI hoods are included in the sale. Also missing when I first inspected the car was the original distributor, again a non-issue. The original owner had the 1111977 W30 4-speed distributor in a box in his basement. Of course the new owner gets that as well. Early in its life the car’s right front fender was damaged in a minor “fender bender.” The fender was replaced with the new design ridged fender…another non-issue because multiple original 1970 flat top fenders are included with the sale. Also included are a pair of NOS 1970 flat-top fenders! (try to find and then see what you'd pay for a pair of those!) The XT wheels? You will be getting two complete sets of original XT wheels, plus multiple sets of original poverty (dog-dish) hub caps…plus a set of NOS poverty caps. The 4-speed transmission and the W27 aluminum rearend are both original to the car! No need to hunt around for hard to find expensive missing parts, you’re getting it all plus much more.

This is a legit and very rare factory built 1970 Olds 442 W30 W27 aluminum rearend, bench seat, 4-speed car that is optioned right! Complete with rock solid W30 documentation, an interesting and documented two owner history, very low miles, and a beautiful color combination to boot. This is the pinnacle of combined Oldsmobile styling and power! No doubt this could be a corner-stone car in any high-end collection.

***Package Sale***

1970 442 W30 W27 4-speed car AND the huge haul of quality 1968-72 Oldsmobile 442 / W30 parts.

$135,000

Deals like this don't get done by pecking away on keyboards back and forth. If you are seriously interested, PM me and we’ll set up a time to talk on the phone.
I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have and share the very interesting story behind this incredible car.

Last edited by Nikkor; August 19th, 2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Major change in how I am going to sell the car.
Old March 1st, 2020, 02:34 AM

Where is the car located now?
Old March 1st, 2020, 05:14 AM

Cool! and nice collection of stuff
Old March 1st, 2020, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Where is the car located now?
The car is in my garage in Wisconsin.
Old March 1st, 2020, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by scrappie
Cool! and nice collection of stuff
Thanks. I've had some of this stuff for decades.
Old March 1st, 2020, 11:24 AM

Love the car. Will still take some serious money to perform a body off restoration, but it will be an absolute beauty once completed. Good luck with the sale. I should add that many would choose only to partially restore such a mostly original W-30, but my personal taste would be to install those console/buckets, nos fender, nos hood you have already purchased....at that point you would need a full paint job and under the hood will be redone...having purchased a 70-442 vert with low miles many yrs ago my only regret was not doing it all at once and being done with it. But hey, the original aspects of the car are awesome (minus the block-is what it is, nice to have the paper work on it).

Last edited by capstoneclub; March 4th, 2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old March 1st, 2020, 11:56 AM

That motor seriously wants to come to life after such a long nap.........
Old March 1st, 2020, 12:59 PM
Alan Reedy

Very cool car. Good luck with the sale.
Old March 1st, 2020, 06:15 PM

Nikkor, sent a PM.
Old March 1st, 2020, 06:58 PM

Wow, that's quite a bit of automotive history there.

Originally Posted by Nikkor
The original owner told me that in the early summer of 1971 the engine started smoking while on a trip up into Wisconsin. Once back home in Chicago he took the car in to the original dealership (Olympic Olds of Chicago) to diagnose the problem. The dealership replaced the block under warranty with a service block…this is DOCUMENTED. I have the dealer service invoice for the service block and work!
So the dealership mechanics were the bozos who put the valve covers on the wrong way?
Old March 2nd, 2020, 05:19 AM

How long ago did you acquire the W-30 carbs and distributors? Just need to be sure they were not restamped. Lots of fraud happened a while back with restamped parts. A buyer is going to want to look them over real good. Many people bought fake carbs and distributors and had no idea.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
Love the car. Will be still take some serious money to perform a body off restoration, but it will be an absolute beauty once completed. Good luck with the sale. I should add that many would choose only to partially restore such a mostly original W-30, but my personal taste would be to install those console/buckets, nos fender, nos hood you have already purchased....at that point you would need a full paint job and under the hood will be redone...having purchased a 70-442 vert with low miles many yrs ago my only regret was not doing it all at once and being done with it. But hey, the original aspects of the car are awesome (minus the block-is what it is, nice to have the paper work on it).
You are so right, I agree that you have options with this car. My thinking is...keep the car exact to the Broadcast Card and original factory configuration - black bench seat 4-speed. You would only need to use the RH NOS fender...the original LH flat top is excellent so no need to use the other included NOS fender on this car. Then you'd only have to use one of the included mint 1970 OAI Ram Air hoods, one of the original OAI systems, the bolt-on ready 7040256 4-speed W30 carburetor, the included original to the car 1111977 W30 4-speed distributor, and one of the original XT steel wheel and poverty cap sets...and you are golden!
Yes it will take some money to do the resto. A ton of money could be recouped though by selling the all or some of the included parts. Or if you're an Oldsmobile collector/restorer, a lot of these 442, W30, and NOS parts will come in very handy with other restorations. Your choice.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow, that's quite a bit of automotive history there.

So the dealership mechanics were the bozos who put the valve covers on the wrong way?
Yep...apparently they were. My guess is that most Olds service mechanics back in day had no clue as why those goofy engineers designed that mysterious flat area on one side of the valve covers. I imagine that as long as there wasn't rocker arm interference most of those guys didn't really care which direction they went on.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 09:24 AM

PM sent Nikkor
Old March 2nd, 2020, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
How long ago did you acquire the W-30 carbs and distributors? Just need to be sure they were not restamped. Lots of fraud happened a while back with restamped parts. A buyer is going to want to look them over real good. Many people bought fake carbs and distributors and had no idea.
Yes there are lots of restamps out there, and one needs to be careful. One of the distributors is the original distributor the car was built with. I got it from the original owner who took out the original distributor shortly after he bought the car new and replaced it with the magneto. Fortunately he kept the original 1111977 in a box in his basement and he physically handed it to me. The other distributor I acquired many years ago as part of a car plus parts deal on a black on black 1970 W30 4-speed. I have been doing this for a long time, I can assure you that distributor is also legit. As far as the carbs go, admittedly they can be a little trickier. However, I can send clear and detailed up close photos of ANY of these parts to anyone that is seriously interested.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 04:20 PM

Hey Nikkor. Very cool car and collection of parts. Can you list the documentation that comes with the car ? Thanks.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bigmikey65
Hey Nikkor. Very cool car and collection of parts. Can you list the documentation that comes with the car ? Thanks.
No problem. I didn't post pictures of the documentation simply because there is personal information contained in some of it that the entire world does not need to see. I will however send photos of the documentation to any seriously interested potential buyer.

The documentation includes:

Original factory Broadcast Card that matches the Fisher Body Tag.

SEQ----MO----DAY----STYLE----PLT OPT 16----BODY NUMBER----TRIM----EXTER PAINT----PP
080-----02-----25-----34487-------A01--------------374695---------940---------28 28----------2

BOX 3----BOX 5----BOX 9
W30-------A52------U58

These documents are all in the original "Oldsmobile Glove Box Wallet":

- Original Owners Manual
- Original 1970 Oldsmobile Consumer Information Booklet
- This car's original New Vehicle Warranty - Stamped by Olympic Olds of Chicago and filled out to the original owner
- Original Protect-O-Plate stamped out to the original owner

Other documents include:

- Original 1970 Oldsmobile Dealer Pre-Delivery CHECK SHEET filled out by Olympic Olds with the car's VIN.
- Ziebart Inspection Sheet - Yes, immediately after it was purchased new this car was Ziebarted (on March 3, 1970) - the little yellow plastic plugs are still in the door jambs.
- A number of original Olympic Olds Service Invoices - Including the 1971 Olympic Olds Service Invoice for the service block.
- The ORIGINAL (non-voided) ILLINOIS TITLE that was issued to the original owner on March 5, 1970 - Don't ask me how I got this here...I will share that only with serious prospective buyers.
- Signed and notarized Statement of Facts Concerning Motor Vehicle from the original owner.
- Signed and Notarized Bill of Sale from the original owner to me.

Last edited by Nikkor; March 2nd, 2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2020, 09:47 PM

Seriously, I love the stance of the car, even like the no beauty trim ring look (gives it a gto wheel look). Clearly the documentation is a real asset. Again, good luck on the sale.

Last edited by capstoneclub; March 2nd, 2020 at 09:49 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2020, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by capstoneclub
Seriously, I love the stance of the car, even like the no beauty trim ring look (gives it a gto wheel look). Clearly the documentation is a real asset. Again, good luck on the sale.

Thanks. Yes this car really sits up nice...it has a very aggressive look to it. I think it's a combination of color (The dark Twilight Blue with Black stripes is subtle...but all business!), throw in the complete tinted windows option, add in a non-flashy understated wheel and tire package, and of course a proper not worn-out suspension is critical as well. Put all of those things together and you get the "right stance" that everyone wants in their car.

Even after being retired from the street in 1974 and sitting for the past 46 years...this car still just looks right!!
Old March 4th, 2020, 04:22 AM

Was this car purchased in Streamwood? I think I remember it sitting on the corner of Bartlett Road & Streamwood Boulevard.
Old March 4th, 2020, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 60193W30
Was this car purchased in Streamwood? I think I remember it sitting on the corner of Bartlett Road & Streamwood Boulevard.
That street corner is only 25-30 miles from the original owner's home, so it's possible that at some point way back in time the car might have been at that location. When I first stumbled across the car back in 2007 it was sitting in a barn far from there.
Old March 4th, 2020, 02:22 PM
Administrator

This is a classified ad, before posting comments please read the classified rules. To the OP, good luck with your sale.
Old August 16th, 2021, 02:12 PM
Banned

Whatever became of this car?
Old August 16th, 2021, 03:51 PM

$135,000 for a #5 condition car that needs another $50k in work, pushing almost $200,000 when all is said and done.

One can get a #1 condition car (1970 Olds 442 W-30) for around $100k at most auctions or private party sales

I can't see it selling for $135k in that condition.
Old August 16th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Banned

Remember this thread is a year old. I am sure plenty of the best included parts and the car have probably traded hands already.

One comment. Love the wheels without trim rings.
Old August 19th, 2021, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Whatever became of this car?
The car was ultimately sold separately from the parts and went out of country.
Old August 19th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Banned

Thanks for the reply. Great looking car.
Old August 19th, 2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by pettrix
$135,000 for a #5 condition car that needs another $50k in work, pushing almost $200,000 when all is said and done.

One can get a #1 condition car (1970 Olds 442 W-30) for around $100k at most auctions or private party sales

I can't see it selling for $135k in that condition.
You obviously did not understand the original post. The $135,000 asking price was not for just the car. That was a package deal price that included trailer loads of 1968-1972 Olds Cutlass/442 parts, including many very desirable W30 and NOS parts. Ultimately I sold the car separately with a few select parts, to an out of country buyer. The remainder of my Olds collection of parts was sold to another individual.
Old August 19th, 2021, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Thanks for the reply. Great looking car.
Thank you, I am confident that the car went to a good home. You're right...those wheels in black without the trim rings looks bad-*** sharp!
Old August 20th, 2021, 01:44 PM

I personally like wheels with trims rings, even the all chrome aftermarket Super Stock 1 wheels. Very nice W-30 and parts stash. The Twilight blue paint, black stripes, and black interior gives it that sleeper look.
Old October 29th, 2023, 07:00 AM

For those of you that were wondering whatever happened with this car. It's been put back together and for sale again. It was also posted on FB but the comments were turned off. I'm sure Brent got tired of all the crap from the FB expert appraisers.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...d-sale-175436/
Old October 29th, 2023, 06:28 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Thanks for the update!