U-Joints

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2023, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
It's hard to see in the photo but the clip is at least 4 times bigger than the hole it has to go in ( one way or another ) ..
The clip doesn't go INTO the hole in the yoke, it goes AGAINST the hole in the yoke to prevent the cap from getting pushed all the way out the other side. Once you get one side's clip bottomed out against the inside of the yoke, you should have room to install the opposite side cap from the outside onto the U-joint and seat it deep enough to get the clip installed on that side. Once both clips are in, the U-joint and caps are captive within the yoke and cannot come loose.
Old August 8th, 2023, 05:42 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
The clip doesn't go INTO the hole in the yoke, it goes AGAINST the hole in the yoke to prevent the cap from getting pushed all the way out the other side. Once you get one side's clip bottomed out against the inside of the yoke, you should have room to install the opposite side cap from the outside onto the U-joint and seat it deep enough to get the clip installed on that side. Once both clips are in, the U-joint and caps are captive within the yoke and cannot come loose.
Im sure glad you mentioned this lol
Old August 8th, 2023, 05:50 PM
NOVICE car nut

I'm sure glad someone pointed out the clip doesn't go inside the groove on the yoke, just on the cap so it can't push outwards . Thank God , now the other side .... Thanks for everyone's help
Old August 9th, 2023, 02:26 PM
NOVICE car nut

I hate to ask .... why does one u-joint a zerk fitting and the other doesn't ?
Old August 9th, 2023, 03:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Aftermarket u-joints are available with or without grease fittings. Sounds like you have one of each.
Old August 9th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Administrator

The ones without the grease fittings are supposed to be greased for life with no maintenance. They are also less prone to cracking at the grease fitting and preferred for racing applications. They say that the ones with grease fittings should be greased every 5k miles, I've never understood that since the ones without the grease fittings tend to hold the same amount of grease.

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 9th, 2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old August 10th, 2023, 09:28 AM
NOVICE car nut

Good to know
Old August 12th, 2023, 06:49 AM

I still do not know where the heck you were trying to install the c-clip for the u joint cap. The picture is correct...BUT where the heck were you trying to get it into that you thought it would not fit...Like in the rubber seal area where the cap meet the cross shaft? ALL this for??? LOL
ALL four caps work the same exact way. Clips in the same spots. I is a square u joint .
JD
Jim
Old August 13th, 2023, 06:03 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by monzaz
I still do not know where the heck you were trying to install the c-clip for the u joint cap. The picture is correct...BUT where the heck were you trying to get it into that you thought it would not fit...Like in the rubber seal area where the cap meet the cross shaft? ALL this for??? LOL
ALL four caps work the same exact way. Clips in the same spots. I is a square u joint .
JD
Jim
I thought it was supposed to go into the groove where you burn the rubber one out prior to pressing the old ones out .. it's all finished and was quite easy actually once I knew where to place the clips.
Old August 13th, 2023, 07:25 PM

Apologies for not mentioning where the clips go in earlier posts but I “assumed” you were familiar with that and just needed info on how to get the originals out of the injected plastic.

Well anyway now you’re an expert in u-joint removal and installation. Good job.