How does classicoldsmobile.com compare to other Olds sites?

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 07:21 PM

How does classicoldsmobile.com compare to other Olds sites?

To a point, the more activity and the more people you find on a website for mutual interest the better. It almost doesn't seem to be busy enough here (not enough people) to be supremely helpful, but it's still WAY better than the other sites I've found in a couple of weeks.

Better yet would be a website that is recognized as The One And Only Oldsmobile Web Site. I hope to learn here what that site is; is www.classicoldsmobile.com that site?

An online resource like this should help communication between Olds lovers and members, help to compile a database or FAQ kind of like a digest does for list servers.

I look forward to "meeting" you all in due time.

Keith
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:19 PM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Originally Posted by Keieljun
To a point, the more activity and the more people you find on a website for mutual interest the better. It almost doesn't seem to be busy enough here (not enough people) to be supremely helpful, but it's still WAY better than the other sites I've found in a couple of weeks.

Better yet would be a website that is recognized as The One And Only Oldsmobile Web Site. I hope to learn here what that site is; is www.classicoldsmobile.com that site?

Although off to a good start, they are not there yet. For the newer oldsmobiles that are usually seen here, I would recommend
Greg Beaulieu's group. I have been involved since 1995 and they are a very active oldsmobile group.

For older oldsmobile, there just isn't as much support.

If Greg's group could join here with this format, than this could be the best oldsmobile site so far.

He just relocated to google: I received this If you choose, members can access the group via a web interface at:

http://groups.google.ca/group/Olds?hl=en

Once we are up and running you should unsubscribe from the Olds list at
Chebucto. You can do so by sending a message to:

majordomo@chebucto.ns.ca

In the body of the message include only one of the following commands,
depending on which version of the list you receive:

unsubscribe oldsmobile

Or

unsubscribe oldsmobile-digest

If you have difficulties unsubscribing from the old Olds list please
contact Greg at:

Ab348@chebucto.ns.ca

For issues dealing with the new list at Google please contact Greg at:

Greg.beaulieu@gmail.com

An online resource like this should help communication between Olds lovers and members, help to compile a database or FAQ kind of like a digest does for list servers.

I look forward to "meeting" you all in due time.

Keith
Keith, keep doing what you love with the cars, and share it with younger generations. Everything else will grow around it!

Best of luck,

Joe Ferrero
Geneseo, NY

3 - 1915 Oldsmobiles - Model 42
1947 Olds 2 dr fastback - Model 76
1948 Olds 4 dr sedan - Dynamic 66
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Past Administrator

Well guys, to me this question does not even arise. I go to Realoldspower.com when I have some serious questions about Oldsmobile engines because they have a HUGE membership and LONG history with lots of data that can be researched. I go to H.A.M.B. when I am looking for info on older cars, since I have a '48 project car, they don't specialize in Oldsmobile but there are a few guys that have LOTS of experience with the first generation Rockets from '49 to early sixties. I know people like Norm is a regular member at other Oldsmobile sites that offer more info on later model A bodies, then there is 442.com and Oldspower.com too. I think all these sites have different things to offer and not a single one could be considered the best. It just isn't possible.
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:37 AM

This site is pretty good.....there is also the OCA site...thru Hemmings...Antique Automobile Discussion.....I stay away from ROP as there are too many nubes there who reply to posts with no real info. Also too many over there will answer a question with a list of parts needed and either they have them for sale or know someone who does....This is my favorite site now.
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

I personally like the tech boards at 442.com, but the posting rules can be somewhat nonsensical. If you violate the rules, your post gets deleted. Plus, about once a month someone asks the BBO/SBO motor mount question....
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I personally like the tech boards at 442.com, but the posting rules can be somewhat nonsensical. If you violate the rules, your post gets deleted. Plus, about once a month someone asks the BBO/SBO motor mount question....
hehe...we have hardly no rules here and last week I had to delete a couple of posts on a thread (the one about 22 inch rims on a Cutlass). I didn't really like doing it but....
there are always going to be re-occuring questions that some people may get tired of seeing. I guess a thorough use of the search function would prevent that but people being people, one would rather post a question themselves and get a direct answer instead of searching first.......oh well
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
there are always going to be re-occuring questions that some people may get tired of seeing. I guess a thorough use of the search function would prevent that but people being people, one would rather post a question themselves and get a direct answer instead of searching first.......oh well
The problem is that many of these questions are answered in the FAQ at 442.com (some of which I even wrote) but when I've responded to a post that the answer is in the FAQ, I get a stern email from Bryce. Apparently he still plans to have a searchable tech database and wants the responses to be "pure". Oh well, he's paying to host that site, he can make the rules...
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Yeah I was threatened with being banned there as well for telling someone a video of an Olds National event can be purchased at a certain place......Bryce had a cow and now the site is pretty useless for chat and message boarding....the info there though in FAQ's is one of the best.
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
... I think all these sites have different things to offer and not a single one could be considered the best. It just isn't possible.
Well, I guess it's just because I work for a living networking computers, but I still wonder whether there isn't something that would work for everyone. I have learned from the guys who responded that not everyone WANTS there to be a One And Only Oldsmobile Web Site. Not because they hate people, or Oldsmobiles, or keeping communities together, but maybe just because they want to have some control - their own web site or something. I don't care about that, that's fine with me.

I do think it's a horrible waste of time to have guys like me who just got their first restoration project asking all over again what "cave and pave" means, or asking about the use of acids like muriatic acid, or any commonly repeated question. Worse yet is having to dig through the whole World Wide Web to find all of these different smaller groups and bookmarking them!

I'll live! Just wondering

Thanks, Dan, for your answer.

Keith
1954 Super 88 2-dr hardtop, maize cream with black top and red leather interior, http://picasaweb.google.com/keith.junker/Rocket88
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Freedom Fighter

I don't think Al (Gore) ever had the intentions of the web being narrowed down to 'a few' specific sites when he invented it. (LOL)

As a new Olds owner myself, and an avid web resource surfer, I have found most of my needs/questions answered by the awesome members here. Yes, there are some generational issues that come up, always will.

This is not the only forum to have these challenges. I've been using Craigslist and found a great 3rd party search, listpics.com. Someone wrote some great code that displayed all of craigslist postings in 'thumbnail' mode. Worked so well that craigslist blocked them out. Now thousands are upset.

Another factor is just being a 'minority' in the classic car world. Fewer cars equals fewer members, equals fewer posts.
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Past Administrator

not everyone WANTS there to be a One And Only Oldsmobile Web Site. Not because they hate people, or Oldsmobiles, or keeping communities together, but maybe just because they want to have some control.

I do think it's a horrible waste of time to have guys like me who just got their first restoration project asking all over again what "cave and pave" means, or asking about the use of acids like muriatic acid, or any commonly repeated question. Worse yet is having to dig through the whole World Wide Web to find all of these different smaller groups and bookmarking them!
http://picasaweb.google.com/keith.junker/Rocket88
Yes so true, or perhaps they just like the feeling of the small community and their "little piece" of the universe.

And about the redundant question topic, it is a double edged sword to have the internet available. So much information but sometimes so difficult to access (to some). I try not to get too upset about the questions, our community at this site is nice and manage-able now. If it was large the knowledge available would be greater but it would be hard to get to know others and remember them. Sort of like the age old topic of "do you like a small church or a mega-church?". Same reasoning applies.
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Hi All,
I have found this site to be the one I like, but I will be checking out the sites mentioned as I did not have them on my list.

As a newbie and an Aussie with an Olds, I will look forward to being a part of this site for some time to come.

Gary T
Oldsmobile Club of Australia.
Old July 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM

hi everyone. i'm new to htis site. i am just starting a frame-off resto of a 55 4dr 88. i've been searching"olds"sites for a couple months now and have found most of them useless for my "55" needs. this site is by far the most informative so far. as i get further into this project, i'll have hundreds of questions, but i will try to search out the answer first before i ask.. oh, by the way,just to clarify the previous post, al gore - web- misconception. the idea for what we now call the web was from ronald reagan in 1974. he proposed a worldwide information superhighway that could link people together .at that time, the computer technology made that seem like "starwars". thanks everyone, bob