General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

Not Converting to Floor Shift Speedo!

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Registered Luser

Arrow Not Converting to Floor Shift Speedo!

I'm in the middle of switching out the column shift, non-tilt, column in the Vista. Installing the obvious floor shift tilt column. My question is, how can I do this while also keeping the original speedo with gear selector? I still want it to function as before the swap. If I drill an oblong hole ih the steering column "bowl"and install the clip, link and indicator needle as was in the original column shift set-up, should it and will it still function? Has anyone done this before? I think the Buick A-Body floor shift column still operates using the selector in the speedo......?

This is a the ' 70 Vista.....

Last edited by ent72olds; March 10th, 2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by 66luvr
I suppose you are talking about the 65 Vista. Since the parts which support the needle movement in the column shift are not in the tilt floor shift I can't think your idea will be possible. Or I suppose anything can be done but this would not be something easily accomplished.
Thanks for replying, I am talking about the '70 Vista....I have it in Major Builds & Projects. I should have been more specific....
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I'm in the middle of switching out the column shift, non-tilt, column in the Vista. Installing the obvious floor shift tilt column. My question is, how can I do this while also keeping the original speedo with gear selector? I still want it to function as before the swap. If I drill an oblong hole ih the steering column "bowl"and install the clip, link and indicator needle as was in the original column shift set-up, should it and will it still function? Has anyone done this before? I think the Buick A-Body floor shift column still operates using the selector in the speedo......?

This is a the ' 70 Vista.....
While most folks don't do this, you are correct Erik. So long as you reinstall the backdrive linkage between the trans and the steering column, the shift tube in the column still rotates the same as it did when it was a column shift car. By replicating the attachment for the clip and link, the speedo indicator should work just fine.
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Registered Luser

Kind of what I figured, but was hoping you would verify for me Joe....thank you Sir!
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM

That should work as Joe says. and it is a great idea. That way you don't have to mark your Buick console and you will be able to see what gear your in on the speedo. This is how it is on my wife's '10 Impala. I like it!!