Converting '53 Olds 3 speed manual column shift to floor shift?

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Converting '53 Olds 3 speed manual column shift to floor shift?

Hi all, I recently purchased a ''53 88 that has the 3 speed manual trans with the column shift. I would really like to convert it to a floor shifter and was wondering if there was any type of kit or a way to make a shifter myself for it. I have had several hydromatics but this is my first 3 speed. Also was curious if a 4 speed manual trans will bolt up. I read another thread on that but it didn't really answer that question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alocatelli
........ I would really like to convert it to a floor shifter ........
Most stick '53s were beat to death at an early age. Your intact column shift is what makes it a rare survivor.

Why do you want to change it?

........ and was wondering if there was any type of kit ........
Not in '53.

On the strips, at that time, the preferred trans, for a heavily modified Olds or Cad, was from a '37 (only) Cadillac or La Salle.

The first aftermarket floor shift conversions showed up when the supply of real ones started drying up. They were patterned after the one, first used, in the '56 Corvette, and were/are a poor substitute for the real thing.

Hurst says they sell one to fit '49 and up. http://www.hurst-shifters.com/catalo...dyshftr3sp.pdf

Make that '50 and up. All '49 V8s came with Hydros, and that "conversion" will not work with any '50 or earlier 6 cyl trans.

........ I have had several hydromatics ........
Correct spelling is Hydramatic. “Hydro” was used, instead of “hydra”, as the abbreviation, hence the confusion.

........ curious if a 4 speed manual trans will bolt up ........
You could use your existing bell housing. You would need relocate, and tap, the 4 mounting holes, using the appropriate transfer punch.

Or, you could use one of the 394 bell housings that already has the late bolt pattern.

Norm
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the info, thats exactly what I was looking for.
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM

Just thought I would give an update on this for anyone else that needs the info. Turns out that the Hurst shifter that they sell does not fit the 3 speed manual trans from a '53 Super 88. The trans only has a single shift arm coming out which is different than the later transmissions that have the two arms. I solved my problem by picking up a Muncie M21 close ratio 4 speed, Hurst floor shifter, and a new bellhousing made by Eelco.
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:38 PM

mufflerking

Originally Posted by Alocatelli
Just thought I would give an update on this for anyone else that needs the info. Turns out that the Hurst shifter that they sell does not fit the 3 speed manual trans from a '53 Super 88. The trans only has a single shift arm coming out which is different than the later transmissions that have the two arms. I solved my problem by picking up a Muncie M21 close ratio 4 speed, Hurst floor shifter, and a new bellhousing made by Eelco.

Swap in a late 40's Cad/Lasalle tranny, but remove the long output shaft and substitute a 50 Olds short shaft to the cad/lasalle tranny. Then you have two shifter arms that you can fit any floor shift adapter, whether it be Hurst or Sparkomatic to your tranny and you will be amazed at how well you can speed shift and dust those 55 Chevy's from stoplight to stoplight. I did this in the mid 60's with a 53 2 door sedan and won many trophies and a few bucks on the street.
Old December 9th, 2012, 11:44 PM

By the way, the stock shifter mechanism on the 50 Oldsmobiles was called the one armed bandit because on the tranny they only had one solid linkage arm and the other arm had some crazy spring mounted abomination that allowed the driver to slowly and smoothly shift gears. Well, screw them, we figured out a way to do it hot rod style!
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM

P.S. The old Caddy/ La salle tannies from the late forties were almost bullet proof, but their weak link were the undersized brass synchronizers. If you didn't jam the gears too hard on a power shift they would last a long time. And one other thing. I believe early Chevy three speeds would bolt in to a stock Olds stick bellhousing with minor modifications. Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but it has been about 50 years since I messed with these things.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This thread is over 4 years old. 88 coupe (Norm) is no longer with us. It is not a bad idea to check to date of the thread before replying. We have all (at least most of us) have replied to old threads.