1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2020, 04:50 PM

more pics

Very faint but stampings are there

Old July 6th, 2020, 05:38 PM

Freshened up the rear end which had been blasted already. Axles came out, backing plates removed and studs replaced. Fluid was drained and brake line hold down tabs replaced along wit SS brake lines and NOS replacement, made in U.S.A. brake drums with all new hdw, shoes and e brake cable along with bushings. Black oxide coated brake hdw pcs.

Last edited by scrappie; July 7th, 2020 at 02:38 AM.
Old July 6th, 2020, 06:27 PM
O'smobile

Those body mounts are impressive. Great to see such fine work. Extensive pics are much appreciated.
Old July 6th, 2020, 07:15 PM

Our 70 W-30 (not the drag car pictured below), was built 12/69, and was assembled 379 cars after yours, I wonder how many cars they pumped out in a day? Our car is also a vinyl top, 4sd., 3.91, car.
Old July 7th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod442
Our 70 W-30 (not the drag car pictured below), was built 12/69, and was assembled 379 cars after yours, I wonder how many cars they pumped out in a day? Our car is also a vinyl top, 4sd., 3.91, car.
Interesting, AP6954 is restoring one also on this site and pretty sure his is pretty close to ours also.
Old July 7th, 2020, 04:21 PM

Need some bell drums on that rear.....
Old July 7th, 2020, 04:34 PM

Assembled some of front end. Looking at some other restorations Ive seen the springs a natural steel color which I presume is the correct color. I didn't find this out till after I had installed so they will just stay the black powder coat they are and besides I hate doing front springs.
The original upper control arms look pretty good IMO so Im glad I save the ball joints.
The original spindles had faint red and green paint on certain areas. I refinished them and tried to duplicate factory markings.
I have all the original front steering linkage and also have MOOG replacement parts. I'm contemplating restoring originals or using replacements?
I went with SS brake and fuel lines and had the original brake distribution block restored.

Last edited by scrappie; July 7th, 2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: add pix
Old July 7th, 2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by My442
Our car was built the same week as this car (12A), and it has the same rear drums, Ours is a 35K mile car, so I have to assume that they are OE. Just out of curiosity what water pump casting # is on your car ?

Last edited by hotrod442; July 7th, 2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 7th, 2020, 06:05 PM

Easier said than done on finding a nice pair of those.
Im also not convinced all 70 cars came with the bell drums what do you guys think?
Old July 7th, 2020, 06:34 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Original or NOS brake lines with the orange?
Old July 8th, 2020, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
Original or NOS brake lines with the orange?
Those are reproduction that I used a paint pen on thanks to your resto.
Old July 9th, 2020, 02:55 PM

Restored a couple odd pcs. Note the date code on the e-brake pedal.

Old July 9th, 2020, 05:36 PM

So after a lot of thought and contemplation I decided to go with the dustless blast system from the mobile service. I arranged it all for a saturday. Dipping wasn't a viable option and moving the body to the next state while on the rotisserie did not seem like a good idea.
It wasn't the system you see on tv all the time but a similar set up. I removed the 4 spd hump cuz it was a bit thin and wanted him to blast underneath. I also removed the bucket seat brackets welded to floor for same reason.
The media was very fine and left a really great finish. He added a flash rust inhibitor which was my main concern with the whole operation. He started around 9am and finished around 4pm. I had him do the body along with various pcs like fenders, door skins, cowl pc, rear window base metal, bumper brackets, heater box and any other stuff he had time for.
After he finished I blew out the water as best I could and sprayed the whole body down along with other pcs with after blast etching solution. The next day I went over the whole body with a scotch brite pad. I then got it outside to examine the job. I found a couple small spots that got missed so I pulled out my small sandblaster to touch up some areas. After airing it out in the bright sun and dry air, and blowing off any dust or sand from all the nooks and crannies I put a good coat off epoxy primer on the whole body reaching all areas as best I could.

Last edited by scrappie; July 9th, 2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old July 9th, 2020, 06:27 PM

Before blasting the fenders I removed the inner braces at first just the lower half then decided to remove the whole thing.

Old July 9th, 2020, 06:37 PM

More pics

This is a RH door skin I removed from parts car.

I salvaged this door from that parts car. I jus needed to put together a RH from the pcs I had.

This is the back window pc.

Back window pc with primer
Old July 10th, 2020, 04:22 AM

Wow, beautiful work Scrappie . Love all the detail, it should turn out fantastic. Keep up the great work, I'm in for the ride here.
Old July 10th, 2020, 06:15 AM

Thumbs up

Well done my son!

Quality work and a great job posting pictures.
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:21 PM

Thx gents appreciate the compliments and encouragement!
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:47 PM

After blasting, I wanted to prep and get primer on everything and seal it up and say goodbye to the rust. While prepping the fenders I came across a faint "w" or "3"

which if I investigated a bit further it was probably a W-30 which has been found on inside of fenders and I think its for emblem holes? Im not positive?
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:56 PM

Wow, nice progress - and FAST ! Do you do side work ? :- ) Have the same car in need of resto.
Old July 10th, 2020, 02:07 PM

Right after I got the car, I knew the fenders needed some help but were salvageable. The worst one had most of the inner brace rotted and a hole in fender. I took it to a body shop that got recommended and although they did an ok job I thought I might as well go to the next level while Im going this far. They put a little metal patch in and rebuilt the brace so I just added and cleaned it up a bit. I took the braces off and had them blasted along with underneath where blasting probably wouldn't have reached.
Before blasting I also took off the rear window pc at the factory spot welds in order to replace with OEM pc.

Old July 10th, 2020, 02:57 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Vader
Wow, nice progress - and FAST ! Do you do side work ? :- ) Have the same car in need of resto.
Catching you guys up. Ive had this car since 11/2017. This is my side work....
Old July 11th, 2020, 04:37 AM

Working o the doors

The doors were not horrible but needed attention. The skins had little rust and if blasted could probably look ok but the door shells needed fixing and inside of door had visible rust which just bothered me if Im going this far. I separated a skin from one of the doors planning on a total repair.
I had a couple other doors that were just ok and then I came across a parts car that had the best doors thus far. The drivers side door on the parts car was the best and after disassembly of all internals I used my small sandblaster to blast the inside of door along with the whole thing. After a complete blasting inside and out, I coated the inside with SEM rust trap and sprayed the rest with epoxy primer. The only thing left in the end was a small patch on shell, molding holes to patch. Pics of skin repair and door repair.

and couple pin holes that I fixed with my mig.
I now had to put together a good passenger side door from the rest of parts. The pass side door on the parts car had a good skin but the shell was rusty at top in front which looked like a tricky repair. I had the original pass side door with a good shell so I decided to mate the two to make one good one. I had the shell blasted and etch primed. I then repaired the shell using patches from another shell and other metal. I then patched the door skin in the bottom front area with small pc of metal and coated the inside of both with SEM rust trap. I ground spot weld locations to bare metal and sprayed zinc weld thru primer before putting them together. I put the two back together and folded skin back over and worked it back to shape. After all that touched up with primer and now had two good doors.
The doors were important because a lot of the repair going forward will be based on door/fender, door/quarter panel and rocker gaps so doors have to be good.
Old July 11th, 2020, 04:45 AM

Pass side door and skin repair

Old July 11th, 2020, 06:36 AM

more pics

Not sure what Im doing wrong but I take a lot of time writing and posting pictures then submit and sometimes nothing appears?
Anyway here are some more:

Old July 11th, 2020, 06:52 AM

Hinge rebuild

I wanted to check gaps now with the doors repaired mostly but in order to dial in the gaps the hinges have to be tight. I bead blasted and rebuilt all hinges before hanging doors.

Old July 11th, 2020, 12:40 PM

I love threads like this...thanks for taking the time to document your restoration in so much detail.

Although it's unlikely I'll ever go this far to restore a car, I'm picking up things that I'll be able to apply to my cars. Keep up the great work!
Old July 11th, 2020, 01:47 PM

Holy cow you have your MOJO together .This is impressive
Alain
Old July 11th, 2020, 02:04 PM

I hope you replaced the worn out detent rollers,,,,,,,,

Last edited by My442; July 11th, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old July 11th, 2020, 03:01 PM

I hope you replaced the worn out detent rollers,,,,,,,,
Yes, the kits I bought had everything and doors are tight now.

Old July 11th, 2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
I love threads like this...thanks for taking the time to document your restoration in so much detail.

Although it's unlikely I'll ever go this far to restore a car, I'm picking up things that I'll be able to apply to my cars. Keep up the great work!
Thx, I will. I never expected to be going this far with a car but this one I hope will be worth the effort.
Old July 11th, 2020, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by alain
Holy cow you have your MOJO together .This is impressive
Alain
Thx Alain, Ive learned a lot over the years and practiced on a car or 5. I just show you guys the good stuff :-)
I have good days and bad just like everyone. The luxury I have to just walk away sometimes is huge.

Last edited by scrappie; July 11th, 2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old July 11th, 2020, 03:23 PM

Awesome work!
Old July 11th, 2020, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Awesome work!
Thx D
Old July 12th, 2020, 04:46 AM

Tried my hand at a little zinc electroplating and the copy cad system from cazwell. It takes a little bit to learn the process and dial in everything. Smooth metal surfaces work best and the pitted brake caliper brackets I had did not take the copy cad well at all. The license plate bracket and brake rotor dust caps are acceptable though IMO.

Last edited by scrappie; July 12th, 2020 at 04:55 AM.
Old July 12th, 2020, 08:52 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

There’s a special tool used to install (and remove) the dust caps that’ll prevent them from being indented like that when you go to reinstall.

Nice job on the finishes. I can tell you’re following the other restoration threads in detail.

Your metal work is quite impressive!

There’s a shop that will do galvanizing for us but requires a decent sized order. Your original license plate door would have been galvanized. Let me know if you’re interested.
Old July 12th, 2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by WTHIRTY1
There’s a special tool used to install (and remove) the dust caps that’ll prevent them from being indented like that when you go to reinstall.

Nice job on the finishes. I can tell you’re following the other restoration threads in detail.

Your metal work is quite impressive!

There’s a shop that will do galvanizing for us but requires a decent sized order. Your original license plate door would have been galvanized. Let me know if you’re interested.
Thx Jimmy,

What other parts would be galvanized?
Old July 12th, 2020, 09:14 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

Originally Posted by scrappie
Thx Jimmy,

What other parts would be galvanized?
I’ll send you a PM.
Old July 13th, 2020, 06:13 PM

So I had the original 70 fenders which I wanted to save so I took the time and effort to do so I hope. The first thing I did was separate the inner braces so I could have them blasted underneath where rust was and may not be reached while attached. I first planned on taking the lower portion of one brace but ended up taking both completely off and had the blaster do both fenders and braces. One fender was worse than the other and required brace rebuild. The other had a small patch I had a body shop do that I wasn't crazy about so I re-did the job.
I then gave all pcs a coat of epoxy primer after blasting. I first had to rebuild one of the braces which took a little time. After both braces were repaired I moved onto fenders. I used a reproduction lower fender patch for a repair on one and some metal on the other. Pictures may be out of order but you get the idea.

Old July 13th, 2020, 06:19 PM

more fender pics

Quick Reply: 1970 W-30 4 spd coming back to life