Headllight Bucket replace-remove stone shield ?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2024, 07:41 AM

Headllight Bucket replace-remove stone shield ?

A long time ago I had to replace the stone shield and I remember the two extensions of it that surround the headlights.
I have to replace the headlight buckets and does anyone know if the left/right extensions of the stone shield can be removed without taking the entire
stone shield center portion off so that I can get to the headlight buckets.
I plan on dropping the front bumper to start the job so should I take the entire stone shield off or can I just remove the left/right extensions to get to the
headlight buckets.
Thanks in advance.
Joe
1971 Cutlass Supreme Conv.
Old March 25th, 2024, 07:04 PM

Joe, are you trying to remove a single bucket the headlight is attached to? Or do you need to remove the metal piece both headlight buckets attach to? If you just want to remove one bucket you may be able to do that without removing the plastic surround. But I think it would be difficult to re-install it with the plastic surround in place. You probably need to drop the front bumper and remove the plastic headlight surrounds and stone shield. Then you can easily access the headlight mounts. If these are the original parts be careful you don't break or crack the plastic as it may be brittle from age. What is the reason for taking this part of your car apart?
Old March 26th, 2024, 07:23 AM

headlight buckets

Hi - thanls for the reply. The headlight buckets on the passenger side won't adjust anymore as the top adjusting screw keeps pulling out of the housing because the metal is too weak to hold the tension.
I have to replace both headlight buckets on the passenger side to be able to adjust the headlights, not the metal backing that the buckets attach to.
So, if I understand what I need to do:
1. drop the bumper
2. Remove the stone shield and the plastic headlight surrounds
Then I can get to replace the buckets.
I was hoping not to have to remove the stone shield but I guess I can't get the plastic headlight surrounds off without removing the stone shield.

Thanks...
Joe