CNC Ported Edelbrock Heads

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2023, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by CANADIANOLDS
min 90% on exhaust while radiusing/knocking off edges.

keep the transition edges sharp on the intake. Best I’ve got out of battens without welding was about 337 with a 2.2” int

Excellent info there for the valve to bowl ratio on the exhaust, thanks!

I think we could have improved the flow curve on the intake side in the low to mid lift areas with the bigger valve, but I believe they ended up going in the 330’s at .750 lift (with a 4.155 sleeve in the SF600 flow bench)on the final test that Vortecpro did.

They didn’t stall, from what I understand.

Old October 4th, 2023, 11:37 AM

Bill called me today to tell me my new Edelbrocks are shipping out. No flow numbers 🤣
Old October 4th, 2023, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by fleming442
Bill called me today to tell me my new Edelbrocks are shipping out. No flow numbers 🤣

Seems like the best way to keep from being upset!

good luck!
Old October 4th, 2023, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Battenrunner
Seems like the best way to keep from being upset!

good luck!
Why would I be upset? I asked, specifically to post the results here, and he said he hasn't flowed a head in years. He only did the exhaust port, if that matters.
Old October 4th, 2023, 12:06 PM

Why would I be upset? I asked, specifically to post the results here, and he said he hasn't flowed a head in years. He only did the exhaust port, if that matters.

No reason then. I personally would want before and after numbers to study and estimate the power curve. If you are happy, I am happy for you.

Old October 4th, 2023, 02:11 PM

if nothing else I think it would be nice to have a reference as to how much lift to put in it. But I understand. Just sayin.
Old October 4th, 2023, 05:11 PM

Wouldn't I need dyno numbers as a reference?
Old October 5th, 2023, 04:31 PM

Wouldn't I need dyno numbers as a reference?
Only if you’re changing rocker ratios to find out what works. But if you had the flow numbers to begin with, you would have a better starting point I would imagine.
Old October 6th, 2023, 04:27 AM

I asked, specifically to post the results here, and he said he hasn't flowed a head in years.
Years ago I used to be a firm believer in the flow bench. Not so much anymore. The air flow going through a running engine is much different than what you see on a flow bench. According to the flow bench my heads shouldn't support anywhere near 930hp.

Old October 6th, 2023, 04:51 AM

I've never even seen a flow bench in person. I see "flow numbers" based on the opening of a valve at, what appear to be, cam lift numbers. I can only assume that the valve is stationary at said "cam lift". It doesn't move the valve to simulate a running engine, thus negating any measurement of the effects of reversion......
Old October 6th, 2023, 07:11 AM

Flow number is not everything. Shape and size of the combustion chamber. I think is a big factor also. Look at Chad's custom CP piston, Marcella custom intake for example. Other factors like his valve sizes ratio. Using what you have in flow to it maximum efficiency makes power. Bill just has so many years of experience. He knows it just not all about the flow numbers.
Old October 6th, 2023, 02:10 PM

I've never even seen a flow bench in person. I see "flow numbers" based on the opening of a valve at, what appear to be, cam lift numbers. I can only assume that the valve is stationary at said "cam lift". It doesn't move the valve to simulate a running engine, thus negating any measurement of the effects of reversion......
Correct. Same on the exhaust side, continuous flow.
And yes flow quality means something as well. Some lesser flowing heads can make the same power as “better” ones.
Old November 3rd, 2023, 06:09 PM

Red face Say what ??? Is this true ???

A statement CanadianOlds made in a different post caught my eye (post # 9 in this link below):

Compression static, dynamic and runner size post in the Racing and High Performance Section

who does your machine work?
who does your head work?
do you port your own heads?

Or how about you tell us what you actually do…we know Champion does your heads because you let that out of the bag when something went wrong .is that what you call standing behind what you do? So they do all your block machining as well?
Whoa - is this true? I spent $3350 with Mark on my heads and now I find out that Champion is who actually did my heads?

Is this the place?

Hmmmm - inquiring minds want to know. Not sure how well this sets with me.

Paul
Old November 3rd, 2023, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Clark455
A statement CanadianOlds made in a different post caught my eye (post # 9 in this link below):

Compression static, dynamic and runner size post in the Racing and High Performance Section

Whoa - is this true? I spent $3350 with Mark on my heads and now I find out that Champion is who actually did my heads?

Is this the place?
Hmmmm - inquiring minds want to know. Not sure how well this sets with me. Paul
Are you bragging or complaining ?
Did you contact Mark to have your Speedmaster heads CNC'd ?
Did you change the combustion chambers twice that required reprogramming twice ?
Did you get what you asked for ?
Old November 4th, 2023, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Clark455

Is this the place?

Hmmmm - inquiring minds want to know. Not sure how well this sets with me.
Paul
Champion never did ANY CNC work for me.

All the heads were done by a contracted company that has over $1,500,000 worth of CNC machines and multiple Newan seat machines. I was there throughout the entire process, from flow bench to programming to finished product, repeatedly.
What Ralph said is true, and we discussed it Paul. Your desires changed during the process, necessitating a change in the CNC program, twice.
To my knowledge, ALL the heads that were done along with yours have produced the desired results, ALL of them.
Hope this helps.
Old November 21st, 2023, 12:07 PM

I'm new to this site, and some sites as this have a way to rate threads. This site doesn't or I haven't found it, great info
thanks

Old November 21st, 2023, 12:19 PM
1972 Cutlass Town Sedan

Originally Posted by LOUCKES'6487
I'm new to this site, and some sites as this have a way to rate threads. This site doesn't or I haven't found it, great info
thanks
At the top of the thread