Oil restrictors in a 455

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2024, 07:24 AM
Gearhead

Oil restrictors in a 455

Where is best place to install oil restrictors in a 455 block to limit oil flow up to the valve train.
Old March 16th, 2024, 07:43 AM

Restricted pushrods seems to be the engine builders consensus. Most assuredly one of the guys like Cutlassefi will respond.
Old March 16th, 2024, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldsrush
Where is best place to install oil restrictors in a 455 block to limit oil flow up to the valve train.
In your closest trash can. They’re useless.
Old March 17th, 2024, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
This ++++
Old March 18th, 2024, 05:17 AM

We need a "LIKE" button.
Old March 18th, 2024, 05:53 AM

I've yet to have anyone convince me as to how these tap-in restrictors benefit an Olds engine. The pro-restrictor folks say it limits oil to the top end of the engine. Ok. But from where I sit, I still can't see the benefit. It only limits the oil to the cam bearings, which appears to me doesn't have the same issue, or even flowpath, of getting oil back to the pan pronto. Plus, I don't consider cam bearings in the upper end of the engine. I've read about the restricted pushrods, and if anything, that's what I'd use if I was wanting to restrict upper end oil flow in the head area. Keeping hydraulic lifters pumped up and the cam bearings well-lubed seems like it would be more of a priority.
Old March 18th, 2024, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
I've yet to have anyone convince me as to how these tap-in restrictors benefit an Olds engine. The pro-restrictor folks say it limits oil to the top end of the engine. Ok. But from where I sit, I still can't see the benefit. It only limits the oil to the cam bearings, which appears to me doesn't have the same issue, or even flowpath, of getting oil back to the pan pronto. Plus, I don't consider cam bearings in the upper end of the engine. I've read about the restricted pushrods, and if anything, that's what I'd use if I was wanting to restrict upper end oil flow in the head area. Keeping hydraulic lifters pumped up and the cam bearings well-lubed seems like it would be more of a priority.
You are correct in your thinking. And as someone who runs 290 lbs. on the seat and 820 lbs. open spring pressures, I can tell you that you want an adequate amount of oil at the cam bearings.
Old March 18th, 2024, 08:21 AM

I was told years ago never to restrict the oil to the top end of a street driven engine because the only way that valve springs get any cooling is from the engine oil.
Old March 18th, 2024, 02:29 PM

The oil restrictors make perfect sense, until you study the oiling system road map. Then you understand that they are nothing more than a gimmick.

I hate to admit it, I bought and installed them on the first couple of engines I built. Hey, that’s what everyone said to do, who am I to argue?? It wasn’t until years later I found an oiling system hydraulic chart in a service manual that I began to question it. When I started to actually look at it I realized there is no way restrictors will limit oil to anything other than the cam bearings.
Old March 18th, 2024, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
The oil restrictors make perfect sense, until you study the oiling system road map. Then you understand that they are nothing more than a gimmick.

I hate to admit it, I bought and installed them on the first couple of engines I built. Hey, that’s what everyone said to do, who am I to argue?? It wasn’t until years later I found an oiling system hydraulic chart in a service manual that I began to question it. When I started to actually look at it I realized there is no way restrictors will limit oil to anything other than the cam bearings.
Guilty here, too.
Old March 19th, 2024, 01:07 PM
Stuck in the 80's

Originally Posted by fleming442
Guilty here, too.
I think there is a lot of us in this camp. Oil restrictors were were gospel when I started in the olds hobby....
Old March 19th, 2024, 03:55 PM

oil mods

12/18/2021....proper clearances,a good pump,RESTRICTED PUSHRODS,and you'll be fine... Mark...do restricted pushrods help anything...
Old March 19th, 2024, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SteveDB
I think there is a lot of us in this camp. Oil restrictors were were gospel when I started in the olds hobby....
Me too, talking mid 1970's Mondello was the only Olds guru to go to. His oiling system was proven so he advertised so whats not to believe? He had been there and done that and it worked?
Old March 19th, 2024, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Me too, talking mid 1970's Mondello was the only Olds guru to go to. His oiling system was proven so he advertised so whats not to believe? He had been there and done that and it worked?
He also did other things that later proved to be worthless.
Restricted pushrods actually help keep oil in the lifter as much as they restrict oil to the top. Their effect is minimal but it works for me.
Old March 19th, 2024, 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=cutlassefi;1559783]He also did other things that later proved to be worthless.
Restricted pushrods actually help keep oil in the lifter as much as they restrict oil to the top. Their effect is minimal but it works for me. [but hopefully not at the expense of the rockers... are they getting enough oil with restricted pushrods.
Old March 21st, 2024, 01:50 PM

Looking under the valvecovers after multiple Dyno runs still showed a good amount of oil coming through the restricted Smith Brothers pushrods on our engine with Harland Sharp Roller rockers. I don’t think I would recommend restricted pushrods on a stock rocker system or a ball stud version.

Running .0026 Rod, .003 1-4 mains, and .0035 #5 main clearances.
Speed Pro 1/2 groove main bearings
Dura-bond rear-grooved cam bearings, installed at 3’o clock hole position

10-40 Maxima oil
Melling blueprinted HV oil pump, purple spring

60psi at 6,000rpm hot oil pressure

I included the above info as it all matters on what will affect your oil flow and pressures within the block and on bearing surfaces.

Last edited by Battenrunner; March 21st, 2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old March 21st, 2024, 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=drjr56;1559789]
He also did other things that later proved to be worthless.
Restricted pushrods actually help keep oil in the lifter as much as they restrict oil to the top. Their effect is minimal but it works for me. [but hopefully not at the expense of the rockers... are they getting enough oil with restricted pushrods.
They’re fine.
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:09 PM

Battenrunner....good to know pertaining to what you noticed after dyno. I have tall valve covers,they come off if I have to jack the motor.What I did notice,when using Castrol GTX 20/50 and lucas oil stabilizer, with an 8qt pan rockers were noisy.I started using Valvoline 20/50 racing oil non synthetic.big difference.Full roller valve train,restricted pushrods. Mark.....Rockers and springs all looked good last summer,but hard to tell just how much oil's getting there,but yes they did look good. TY

Last edited by drjr56; March 21st, 2024 at 04:11 PM.