novice question - 307 throttle cable fell off

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM

novice question - 307 throttle cable fell off

throttle.jpg
The end of the cable is intact, and I assume it goes on the big nub in the middle of the pic, right above the "63440". I also found the metal retainer clip that holds it all together, but nothing else. I suspect I'm missing some kind of spacer or washer. Can someone tell me what to ask for at the parts store, assuming the average AutoZone would have it? Or could I safely improvise with something from Ace Hardware?

Also, I found this in the same area...
throttle3.jpg
From what I could glean from googling, this is either something called a TV cable that talks to the transmission, or maybe part of the cruise control?

I'm not sure if it came off at the same time, or where it should connect (the other blurry nub at the bottom of the first pic?), but I need to know what it is.

Thanks very much!
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:16 AM

Sometimes there is a nylon bushing to fit on the nub if the hole on the throttle cable is too big, and a wave washer before the clip goes on...
Old March 30th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Yes, the throttle cable goes on the nub and is held with the clip and a washer. The second photo is the throttle valve cable for the trans and it MUST be hooked up for the trans to work properly. The plastic clip looks broken, but repair clips are available.
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM

I must suck at googling cause I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure this out: is the TV cable only for overdrive transmissions? Because the original transmission was replaced with a 3-speed at some point. Could the TV cable be disconnected intentionally? I've been thinking it's weird that both came off at the same time...

I'd love to find out I didn't have to worry about reconnecting the TV cable since I'm having a really hard time finding a replacement clip.
Old March 31st, 2011, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cermo
I must suck at googling cause I'm driving myself nuts trying to figure this out: is the TV cable only for overdrive transmissions? Because the original transmission was replaced with a 3-speed at some point. Could the TV cable be disconnected intentionally? I've been thinking it's weird that both came off at the same time...

I'd love to find out I didn't have to worry about reconnecting the TV cable since I'm having a really hard time finding a replacement clip.
Most GM transmissions built in the 1980s used a TV cable instead of a vacuum modulator and kickdown cable. The reason for this was that with the introduction of diesel engines and turbocharged engines, there wasn't a good vacuum signal available to operate the modulator. The TH200, 200-4R, and 700R4 all use a TV cable. Ironically, the use of a throttle valve dates to the 1950s and 60s. My 62 F-85 uses a throttle valve linkage (though it's a rod instead of a cable). I wonder if this was also due to the planned turbocharged Jetfire motors.

In any case, what are you trying to Google? If it's the replacement end clip, PATC sells them for $2 each. Scroll about 1/4 of the way down this page to item #8XXX:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm

Old March 31st, 2011, 05:21 PM

In order to say for certain if the TV cable is needed or not, you'll need to find out exactly what 3 spped transmission was installed. If it's an older T350, you'll need vacuum to the modular and it will have a cable that connects to the throttle linkage to allow it to drop down to a lower gear when you stand it on. If someone would have installed a T400, then you have vacuum to the modulator and will need an electric switch to allow the trans to shift down to a lower gear under wide open throttle. If you have a 3 speed that uses a TV cable, you better get it figured out before you drive the car any further as you can damage the trans by not operating the TV cable.
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM

That reminds me of a story,had a party one time on my farm. One of my buddies shows up with his 68 Dodge challenger with a car load of people, his brother was one of them. Any ways, were all getting pretty tanked, getting ready to leave and his car won't move. We pop the hood, dam throttle cable broke. Not shitting you either, get's his brother to drive the car while he is under the hood giving it gas. Drove over 10 miles like this till he got home. He wasn't easy on the throttle.
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:53 AM

[quote=Kyle's 77 Cutlass;267452]That reminds me of a story,had a party one time on my farm. One of my buddies shows up with his 68 Dodge challenger with a car load...............

The throttle cable problem you mentioned on that Challenger must have been due to the fact that your buddy must have somehow got his hands on one of the early prototypes for the Challenger. I'm sure Chrysler had that issue resolved before they began producing the Challenger in 1970.