jetaway tranny throttle control switch

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2023, 02:01 PM
1964vistacruiserwagon

jetaway tranny throttle control switch

Reinstalling throttle control switch on 1964 Vista with Jetaway. Where does the yellow wire plastic connector attach to? Also on the back side of the switch it looks like there are some cut off wires, are they needed? I do have the yellow/black wires going to the tranny hooked up. Is this switch really needed if I dont drive the car over 45 mph? What if I left this part off the car all together?

Last edited by mathon; December 30th, 2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old December 31st, 2023, 03:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1964 cars have TWO switches. The one in your photos is the switch for kickdown that operates both the kickdown solenoid and the switch pitch converter solenoid at wide open throttle. There is a second switch that is part of the dashpot assembly that also operates the converter solenoid at idle to give you high torque multiplication off the line. I don't see that one in your photos.

The single yellow wire in this photo connects to the power feed. The black and white wires with the rubber boot plug into the trans. The two spade terminals on the underside of the switch are where the wiring from the dashpot switch connects.

The dashpot switch looks like this.

Old December 31st, 2023, 09:55 AM
1964vistacruiserwagon

Thanks for the information. My car drives just fine around town without the dashpot. is there any harm driving without it? I will try and source one when time allows...
Old January 1st, 2024, 01:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mathon
Thanks for the information. My car drives just fine around town without the dashpot. is there any harm driving without it? I will try and source one when time allows...
Not using the switch pitch feature at low speeds will reduce off-the-line acceleration and marginally increase wear on first gear clutches due to potential additional slippage, but frankly it's not something I'd be too concerned about.