T350 tear down

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2024, 09:59 AM

Trash can and will move from the torque converter back into the trans. Fluid circulates through the converter. Giant chunks, no, but there will be plenty of small pieces. It's always a good idea to tear down and clean up a trans that has any potential hard part damage. Otherwise there's trash tucked away somewhere that will just get picked up and destroy more parts later. This is especially great with some of the newer trans where they have crimped-on covers on some parts that hold trash. They have to be destroyed to be removed, and take fineness to install.

I run a 200-4r and love it, but if I did it all over again I'd to 4l80e. It's easier now than it was 10+ years ago (more controllers and more knowledge of the trans), but it would cost about double going to a 2004r. The main problem with the 200 is that it's becoming a rare bird - only a handful of shops still focus on them and hard parts (OEM or aftermarket) are getting extremely difficult to find. The 4l80e was used much more widely so availability will be much better for a long time.
There's the normal stuff on the 200-4r - getting the TV cable set up right, picking your lockup control approach, and getting a good converter. The real pain is calibration. The builders have to use whatever they can find, so they often have to make pretty severe changes to whatever parts they have to make it work OK. There were dozens of different factory calibrations, and modifying those to something more suitable is a fine art. There's more circuits and controls than the older 350/400 transmissions so more places to monkey around with things. Most of these were behind extremely weak engines in grocery getters aiming for fuel economy - not good shift quality. Governor tuning is a whole extra conversation. It was very exciting the first time my car bounced off the rev limiter when I was trying to merge into traffic on the highway.
If the builder hits it on the nose on the first try then it's excellent. But if they didn't, then it's a lot of work to go back and forth to make modifications.
This isn't to dissuade you - just know going in that it's not "install and party". There may be some tweaking to get it right where you want.
Heck, I spent ~15 years messing around with TH350s. Finally got one that ran just the way I like it. Even though I haven't touched it in over 10 years I still have it in the corner so I can re-use the valve body and governor if I ever need to!
Old February 23rd, 2024, 08:21 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by oddball
There's the normal stuff on the 200-4r - getting the TV cable set up right, picking your lockup control approach, and getting a good converter. The real pain is calibration. The builders have to use whatever they can find, so they often have to make pretty severe changes to whatever parts they have to make it work OK. There were dozens of different factory calibrations, and modifying those to something more suitable is a fine art. There's more circuits and controls than the older 350/400 transmissions so more places to monkey around with things. Most of these were behind extremely weak engines in grocery getters aiming for fuel economy - not good shift quality. Governor tuning is a whole extra conversation. It was very exciting the first time my car bounced off the rev limiter when I was trying to merge into traffic on the highway.
If the builder hits it on the nose on the first try then it's excellent. But if they didn't, then it's a lot of work to go back and forth to make modifications.
This isn't to dissuade you - just know going in that it's not "install and party". There may be some tweaking to get it right where you want.
Heck, I spent ~15 years messing around with TH350s. Finally got one that ran just the way I like it. Even though I haven't touched it in over 10 years I still have it in the corner so I can re-use the valve body and governor if I ever need to!
First question ....
calibration ? The transmission has a mind of its own , or do you need any additional computer based components involved ? My ride is a old school set up , no modifications .
Old February 23rd, 2024, 07:58 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

He is basically saying, trial and error with the 2004R governor. Even known experts in the 2004R are questionable these days. I only waited 6 months and I got a dud, expensive trans pump from CK Performance for my 2004R. It shifted and worked perfectly before I swapped the pump and added their shift kit and servo. The reading on the gauge was erratic then low. I actually removed the shift kit and still no shifts at all. Screw it, I threw a Transgo shift kit and 2000 to 2200 in the TH350, going wide ratio TKX manual 5 spd, very expensive but will be worth it. The best behaving 2004R was a rebuilt transmission from a member here, completely stock. Shifts were soft until I upgraded it. I have had very good luck with the big Transgo shift kit and servo. Positive shifts but not harsh, the green line bias spring adds 300 rpm to the full throttle shifts. I ended using the .555" boost valve to get 215 to 220 psi line pressure in the foward gears, very nice compared to 195 psi. I ground the small governor weight, added an extra screw to keep the springs in place. Right around 5000 rpm full throttle shifts, very firm but not harsh. Part throttle was completely stock feeling, what you want. Guys quite often have to send the governor back and forth several times to get it right, buy a deep pan with a drain plug. Makes draining fluid to swap governors easier but also allows a bottom feed 700R4/4L60E filter. Most stock governors shift around 4000 rpm stock but I have had 2 shift at 3000 rpm full throttle stock, horrible low, even for a stock mid 70's Olds 350. Good luck.
Old February 24th, 2024, 02:21 AM
NOVICE car nut

Eeeeks , I'm not so sure I want a 200R4 now 😆
I definitely don't want to have that thing towed somewhere after I put the transmission in . I don't know **** about the specifics when it comes to transmissions . I know my mini bike has a governor that cuts the power off at a certain speed 😂 , and I don't want that for sure . Damn I was getting hooked on this 200R4 , that extra ⚙️ would've been awesome. I need to get this car moving out of the spot it's been in since last June so I may end up putting another T350 in there. I'd put a T400 in but I thought you needed a different length drive shaft for that (forgive me if I already asked this )

Last edited by oldsguybry; February 24th, 2024 at 02:50 AM.
Old February 24th, 2024, 04:53 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

You still have the stock mid 70's Olds 350? If so, basically a Transgo big shift kit and new stator is all you need added to the rebuild. Just make sure it is a reputable shop with the 2004R. The stock 4000ish shift points will also be fine. I wanted more than the 195 psi the .555" boost valve added to the pump in this great condition 2004R. I was planning on 400 HP, that would not cut it. Thought, why not get parts from the best, nope! The 2004R has great gear ratios and when right is great. The lock up torque converter and .68 overdrive great drops highway rpm by 1000 rpm. Also the base D9 torque converter stalls about 300 rpm higher than a stock TH350 trans, also helps launch. Add in either 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73 rear gear and gain a ton of acceleration while gaiing no additional highway rpm. The TH350 isn't bullet proof stock, it is just cheaper and easier to build. I saw them fail behind the fire breathing 165 HP Olds 350 stock. Good luck, as said, the TH2004R goes right in where the TH350 goes, just move the crossmember back.

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; February 24th, 2024 at 04:55 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 02:07 AM
NOVICE car nut

350 long gone , it has a 455 in it from a 68 Toro now
Old March 3rd, 2024, 07:19 AM
NOVICE car nut

I was also wondering if not having enough transmission fluid in torque converter when I installed it could cause the issue at hand ? It was 6 years ago or so when I installed it.