Differential swap

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2009, 10:08 PM

Differential swap

I'm Needing to swap out the rear Diff. on a '58 '88' -- was wondering if rearend from another model Olds or other make car [chevy/GM] might work... A model/make that would be easy to find, perhaps in a salvage yard.
Basically, it would be nice if donor Diff. just fit right in with no issue.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Why are you wanting to swap the rearend. The stock 58 olds rearend is one of the strongest around. Used by the drag racing crowd for years and replacement parts are not hard to find except for the anti slip which are hard to find.
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Well it appears I have perhaps destroyed the rearend, on the '58 with the 455R and powerglide trans. I did it sometime back .. I was hoping is was just a busted U-joint or something. I haven't had the time to really check it out until now,,, bunch of stuff goin' on and trying to work on other cars and house etc...
anyway, if the '58 rearend is the best for the job.. perhaps I can rebuild if not too damaged - never rebuilt one before... but I guess I can't break it if it's already broken... to have it done at shop is about $1500 - at least I was told that was what it would cost. I haven't found any Salvage yards around this area that particularly carry any kind of Oldsmobile especially Classics [ well, except one yard that has a '58 but not sure if it wouldn't need rebuilding, setting in thick brush and muck for years ]- figuring a swap would be easiest and least expensive way of fixing problem.
I not in a hurry to get the Rear fix on this one at moment, so I can probably tinker with it... car has other issues ... long story [ or really a short sad story], motor and trans work fine, but currently needs some 'minor body work'before getting back on road -- it might become a Convertible or 'open top' car - Depends on how my body work knowledge goes { which I don't know much body work..}
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM

The Olds rearend is similar to the 9" ford in that the whole assembly drops out from the front of the housing, You can replace the unit as a whole without removing the complete rearend. I see these on e-bay from time to time and even on craigs list. I run a stock rearend behind by 455 with alu. heads roller cam and 10:5 compression. In excess of 450 hp and have had no problems with breakage. Good luck in finding a new gear set
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM

You might want to look up monzaz. He runs a shop in OH I think. He could probably hook you up with what you need.
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM

THanks, for info... so I take it rebuilding a rearend isn't as hard as everyone tells me it is or is it that hard?.. I've read tech books and such on it.. even open the rearend up on my dodge truck, but after cost of parts and time, and seeming complication of the matter, it was cheaper and easier to replace with a salvaged Diff.
are the axle bearings going to be easy or hard or replace?
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM

I haven't done one yet. As I understand it is not too bad as long as you are patient and can follow directions explicitly. Monzaz has offered to sell PPL the parts and walk them through the rebuild in the past. I am not volunteering him here, but he seems to be a good guy, and you may want to talk to him about your situation. I will likely be talking to him when I am ready to put a limited slip carrier in my diff. hope this helps.
Chad
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by csstrux
I haven't done one yet. As I understand it is not too bad as long as you are patient and can follow directions explicitly. Monzaz has offered to sell PPL the parts and walk them through the rebuild in the past. I am not volunteering him here, but he seems to be a good guy, and you may want to talk to him about your situation. I will likely be talking to him when I am ready to put a limited slip carrier in my diff. hope this helps.
Chad
X2
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
The Olds rearend is similar to the 9" ford in that the whole assembly drops out from the front of the housing, You can replace the unit as a whole without removing the complete rearend. I see these on e-bay from time to time and even on craigs list. I run a stock rearend behind by 455 with alu. heads roller cam and 10:5 compression. In excess of 450 hp and have had no problems with breakage. Good luck in finding a new gear set
I may be talking to you later about building out the 455-- not sure exactly what [if anything] may have been done to this one. However, if I get car all fixed up, at some point wouldn't mind getting extra HP. got a bit of work ahead of me thu.. so one step at a time.