The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

New and here to stay

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM

New and here to stay

How's it going all? I'm new to the site. Was looking for some parts and stumbled upon this forum, luckly. Been waiting to post some of my questions up, but had to wait one day. As some can kinda tell off the back I am a little impatient.

First off, I am looking to get my first 442 next weekend. Its a 68, that I think is in pretty good condition. It has minor rust damage on it, but all the interior is complete and looking beautiful. The guy thats selling it to me put a 69 350 rocket with a TH400 3 spd tranny in it, and is also throwing a rebuilt high nickel 455 toronado motor(with "c" heads) in the deal. I apologize in advance if this makes no sense, as I'm going off what the guy is telling me. It's been stored in his garage for 7 years without being started.

How much would something like this go for so I know I'm not getting ripped off? Aside from changing all the fluid(Gas, radiator,oil,brakes), cleaning carbs, lubing wheel bearings, and tune up, is there anything else I need to do before starting it? Also is it possible to swap a 72 442 hood, headlights, grill, and front bumper with the 68?

My goal is to take it to the body shop and get it properly patched up, blocked, sanded, and painted dark satin green with all the chrome either powder coated black or flat black. Then after I'm done building up the 455 block, throw that in it. Then work on beasting up the 350 and finding another 442 to throw it in.

Apologies again if this post is all over the place. Heres some pictures of my find. Thanks guys for what ever insight or advise you can share with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0033.jpg (76.1 KB, 14 views)
IMAG0034.jpg (75.1 KB, 11 views)
IMAG0035.jpg (75.7 KB, 13 views)
IMAG0036.jpg (82.1 KB, 13 views)
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gotzammo
Also is it possible to swap a 72 442 hood, headlights, grill, and front bumper with the 68?
Hi welcome to the site. Sounds like you could have a good project. About your question could it bolt up? Not to a 68 core support. It wouldn't look right if you tried. The thing makes a 68 a 68 is the grill, headlights, bumpers, taillights and hood. Good luck with your purchase and if you get it your project.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO.
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Talking Welocme to CO

Looks like a good project. Hard to put a price to a car without seeing it. Some guys with knowledge about what years are compatible with the 68 will answer your body questions.
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:27 AM
car guy

Looks like a decent start. Depending on seeing it in person I would be thinking $2500-4000 max since there is not an original motor with it.

You can't put a late front clip on the 68.
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. I was reading up on Coltonis' restoring job and it gave me more motivation to get going! Man, that guy is funny. Anyhow, I really like the look of the 71-72 beastly grills and hood with those monsterous hood scoops! It's just hard for me to find any in the type of condition that this sweet 68 is in, in Southern Ca. From the very well taken pictures from Coltonis, it looks as if I need a 71 core support to make it work.

Now for the Big question, would I be disrespecting any of the 442 owners if I frankenstien my front end?
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM

$4000 max? Okay, so I'm dumping 500 on top for the other 455 motor then.. I feel good about it now.
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! We have a lot of funny guys on here, lol! I think you should keep it as original looking as possible, but that's just me. It's your car and you can do as you please! My guys here are great, and will help you out.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM

If by Frankenstein you mean "Fugly" it is your choice....

Seriously though, the 70-72 front end would look terribly ridiculous on a '68
Most of us here would have to agree. The fender lips of a 70-72 are so different than the '68-69, that it would actually look like two different cars stuck together at the firewall. That is if it would even line up correctly, which I am not sure of.

You "C O U L D " keep your fenders, and put a '69 front end on it(Grilles etc), with a '70 core support nose, and a '70 hood to get the hood that you want, but otherwise it just doesn't belong on a '68. Many others would also say the same for a '69 as well, but I personally beg to differ. At least on a '69 the hood doesn't look out of place.

I would keep it as is! it looks too sweet to change it. Plus, even if the original motor is not there, it IS a 442 right?

Please do not change it.
Duane
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Also is it possible to swap a 72 442 hood, headlights, grill, and front bumper with the 68?
Unfortunately not. Theoretically you could swap the core support, grille, and hood, but the area where the bumper fits to the front fenders is shaped differently. The 72 bumper really won't line up with the 68 fenders. You can't swap to the newer fenders because the feature lines in the doors are different and won't line up.

If you are trying to get an O.A.I. hood on your 68, you CAN swap to a 1969 core support, grille, and bumper then install a 1970 hood. Personally I've always liked the 68s because that was my first 442.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks again guys. Where do you suggest I get those parts if I decide to go that route that Joe provided?
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:47 PM
71 cutlass convertible

You would have to look around for old parts maybe e-bay and such. It would be easier to add a 68 oai system under the bumper. Not as quite in your face as a oai hood but almost as good and a factory option on a 68 442.
Larry
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:58 PM
car guy

$4000 max? Okay, so I'm dumping 500 on top for the other 455 motor then.. I feel good about it now.
Thats assuming the body is near perfect. Paint is no big deal but rust repair and sheet metal work will add huge $$ to your repair quick.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM

OMG guys! Tell me I got screwed on this deal?! I need immediate advice. So this vehicle that I purchased from this older guy turned out to be salvaged. Which the guy neglected to tell me at all. He was so sketch about me holding the pink until I paid him. He was even hesitant about me letting me put my name on the back side, now that I think of it. I just found out last week that it was salvaged because I was going to go register it. I know it was my responsibility to check the title and all, but if the guy didn't mention anything at all for the month it took for the deal to go through, then one would assume that it's not... Correct?!?

This guy charged me 4k for it with a non working motor and th400, which he said was rebuilt. I've got the thing running since I got it in my possession and the motor runs ok but the tranny slips gears. But aside from that.. What can I do? How much is it for a salvage title 442 that doesn't run, go for? I mean I put almost 2 months into fixing the motor and sanding and priming the front fenders and hood, and I want to keep it. I mean he doesn't want to negotiate at all, what can I do? What Can I do with this car? And if I restore it, how much could it go for being salvaged?

I feel so violated. Out of my own stupidity and anxiousness, I bypassed feelings of common sense and got the thing. Please help. I mean, I've been beating myself up for not checking and all, so please go easy on that part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:46 PM

I don't believe you have any legal recourse. A salvage title does not necessary mean its a bad car depending on how it arrived at being titled as salvage. If it was drowned in salt water that would mean possible big rust problems in the future and failure in the electrical systems very bad. Fresh water would be bad not as bad as salt water. If it was in a wreck then totaled by the insurance company then bought and rebuilt correctly then not so bad. Check it over for frame damage. If your restoring it to driver quality then who cares if all is in order. In some states you can get the salvage title removed with a state inspection when completed. Don't know about your state. The guy who sold it to you was dishonest in not offering full disclosure. Some people will do anything to sell something. Buyer beware is the mantra to always keep in mind
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM

Im in southern Ca, and read that I can't get that done here. How would I know how the vehicle got put as salvaged? Would there be paperwork on it? My thing is, did I over pay for this vehicle? I just want everything to be fair.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

OMG guys! Tell me I got screwed on this deal?!
As Citcapp noted, I wouldn't get particularly worked up over the salvage title. Be sure it isn't a flood car - if it is you may have some legal recourse - but there are a lot of ways for a car to get a salvage title that don't mean the end of the world. Heck, my 69 H/O has a salvage title, since it had been stolen and damaged at one point.

$4K for a non-running 68 442 is probably on the high end. A lot depends on the amount of rust in the body and the condition of the rest of it. Frankly the G-block 400 was not Oldsmobile's greatest engine and many folks dropped in a 455 instead. Now you have an excuse.

Of course, my first 442 was also a 68 with a siezed engine. I paid $100 for it.

In 1974!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM

So I did pay a lil on the high end for this non-running car, huh? The rust damage isn't that bad.. I have images on my facebook account that I wish I can link. It has a 69 350 block in it right now. Does that mean anything?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM

Heres some pictures
DSCF8239.jpg
DSCF8238.jpg
DSCF8236.jpg
DSCF8233.jpg
DSCF8231.jpg
DSCF8230.jpg
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM

DSCF8229.jpg
DSCF8227.jpg
DSCF8225.jpg
DSCF8224.jpg
DSCF8222.jpg
DSCF8221.jpg
DSCF8221.jpg
DSCF8197a.jpg
DSCF8210.jpg
Attached Images
DSCF8221.jpg (48.1 KB, 0 views)
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

So I did pay a lil on the high end for this non-running car, huh? The rust damage isn't that bad.. I have images on my facebook account that I wish I can link. It has a 69 350 block in it right now. Does that mean anything?
Just means that the engine has been replaced. That car looks to be in pretty good shape.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:40 PM

But for 4k, salvage title.. Is that okay?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

But for 4k, salvage title.. Is that okay?
Shouldn't prevent you from registering and driving the car. It might be an issue if this were a high-dollar restoration, but since it's not original anyway, just fix it and drive the wheels off of it.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM

Hi,A while back I tried to get a car I had stored in a shed registered.Just in case it got stolen."Price of scrap"I forget exactly what they told me but it was kind of like since it hadn't been registered for so long its considered to be junked. Maby thats what happened here.Don't panic I'm sure it's no big deal. especially if you plane on keeping it for yourself.
Railguy
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM

OK, great. I feel a little more at ease about it now. Just have to find out why it was under salvage title first before I do continue putting more into it. I still think it was a jerk move to not inform me of that fact though. Can't believe that old man was a basterd like that.