Good quality direct fit radiator suggestions for 77-84 98?

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2024, 06:44 PM
1988 Delta 88

Good quality direct fit radiator suggestions for 77-84 98?

I noticed when I pulled it out that the original radiator had sprung a leak at some point. I've done some searching, there are certainly aftermarket options available from places like Summit and Champion that say they will fit, but I've also read a lot of very negative reviews about bad quality. I've searched the forum here and found a number of glowing reviews for US Radiator and Cold Case. Unfortunately US Radiator's 98 offerings only go up to '76, clearly meant for the previous generation and Cold Case only seems to offer them for A bodies. Can either of these be made to work? I've also seen it suggested to have the original rebuilt, I just don't know which shops are good. I've had a lot of experience with bad shops of other kinds so unless they have a good reputation that isn't really a bulletproof solution either.
Old April 22nd, 2024, 08:57 PM
Oldsdruid

I was able to get a direct fit replacement for the 78 Custom Cruiser thru Auto Zone several years ago, which should be the same as your car. Granted, it was aluminum core with plastic tanks, and generic to all GM B and C body cars but it fit and worked well.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 05:03 AM

I recommend NOT shopping at your local auto parts store. I have a cheapy from O'Reilly Auto Parts in my 71 98 and it's on my list to eventually replace. It's a generic aluminum and plastic radiator that is designed for multiple applications. No doubt it's sized just big enough to keep the 455 from overheating. There's even a secondary exhaust port below the radiator cap that's blocked with a rubber nipple and hose clamp.
Old April 23rd, 2024, 08:20 AM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by Olds64
I recommend NOT shopping at your local auto parts store. I have a cheapy from O'Reilly Auto Parts in my 71 98 and it's on my list to eventually replace. It's a generic aluminum and plastic radiator that is designed for multiple applications. No doubt it's sized just big enough to keep the 455 from overheating. There's even a secondary exhaust port below the radiator cap that's blocked with a rubber nipple and hose clamp.
Yeah exactly, so what good options are there for a '78?
Old April 29th, 2024, 11:44 AM
Mikeyt

I just ordered an aluminum replacement for my 62 from Ebay, Focus Cooling.
Ebay guarantees it to fit. I'm pretty sure it won't without modification to the saddles but all other dimensions are exact match.

For the price if it works a few years it's a deal.
This will give me time to have my original recored once I get the funds.

I'm skeptical of the quality but we will see.

Old April 30th, 2024, 02:06 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by Mikeyt
I just ordered an aluminum replacement for my 62 from Ebay, Focus Cooling.
Ebay guarantees it to fit. I'm pretty sure it won't without modification to the saddles but all other dimensions are exact match.

For the price if it works a few years it's a deal.
This will give me time to have my original recored once I get the funds.

I'm skeptical of the quality but we will see.
Yeah that's one thing I'm trying to avoid, for mission critical parts like this I'd prefer a one and done as much as possible.

Speaking of which I do actually have an update, on a whim I decided email US Radiator to just to see.....and it turns out they do have radiators that seem to be the right size. I was directed to part number 008318ANN, and they have a few options that don't have the heater hose connector. This is a promising lead and I'm still following through for the specific version that's the right fit, but so far so good. I think there's a path forward with them.
Old April 30th, 2024, 02:11 PM
Mikeyt

US Radiator seems to have a ton of radiators for not so common cars.
I'd bet they can square you up.
Old May 1st, 2024, 05:55 AM
Mikeyt

I just found another place called Radiator Express that does OE style replacements.
They have the one for my 62 98 for a little less the US Radiator.

Just another option.