jetaway to 4spd conversion

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:14 AM

jetaway to 4spd conversion

I am thinking of changing my 65 442 column auto to a console 4 spd. Has anyone here done that? I of course will keep the orig trans and stuff but I wanted a 4spd car and the only way I am gonna get one is to make this one! Any tech articles or tips from someone who has done this will be appreciated! thanks

rlm765
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:51 AM

I did this on my 1963 Cutlass. I used a factory 4-speed setup from another '63 Cutlass that was pulled out of the junkyard. It made it easier that I had all the components, pedals, linkages, brackets, fasteners, etc. to complete the conversion. In my particular car the factory actually cut out the transmission tunnel section of the floor pan on the assembly line and welded in a tunnel section that had room for the transmission and floor shifter assembly. I cut out that portion from the junkyard car and mig-welded it in mine. I believe that the 4-speed transmission option was not originally planned for when the 1961-1963 F-85s and Cutlass were developed. 4-speed wasn't available until mid-year 1962.

I'm not sure about the floor pan/tunnel situation on your '65 but if you can get lucky - start looking for a '64 or '65 with the complete 4-speed setup......it will make your job much easier.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the info....I know with any job like this, there are many things that maybe I havent thought about that guys such as you have done. I intend to have everything well planned an in place prior to starting. thanks again.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:25 AM

4 spd conv

i always felt the biggest fly in the ointment to this conversion was drilling the crankshaft for the pilot bearing.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:27 AM

The hardest part is the issue with the pilot bearing in the end of the crank shaft. Oldsmobiles had stick and automatic cranks. The stick cranks are drilled for a pilot bearing. The automatic cranks can be drilled to fit the bearing but it is a little hard to do a good job while the engine is in the car. I have never tried that although a friend did and it worked out OK for him.

There is also a special bearing you can buy that fits into the end of the automatic crank that accepts the shaft from the four speed. However, I have heard mixed reviews on this as it requires shorting the end of the shaft.

Beyond that the conversion is pretty easy. It's best to get the parts together from another car but they can be found separately. The frame bracket for the z-bar is reproduced. Peddle assemblies are pretty plentiful. I think even the rod that goes from the z-bar to the peddle assembly is being reproduced.

The hole in the floor was cut with a torch from the factory then a plate to fit the boot was spot welded over it. Those pieces pop up for sale now and then cut from parts cars.

Good luck.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:43 AM
L69

Here is my thread on doing a 4 speed swap along with 400 E block to a 66 jetaway column shift car. Not to bad as long as you use all OEM parts.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ad.php?t=43826

Originally Posted by rlm765
I am thinking of changing my 65 442 column auto to a console 4 spd. Has anyone here done that? I of course will keep the orig trans and stuff but I wanted a 4spd car and the only way I am gonna get one is to make this one! Any tech articles or tips from someone who has done this will be appreciated! thanks

rlm765
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:01 AM

drilling the crank is something that I would have to have my son do...he is a tool maker so he should know how to do this. I know there are a lot of "obsticals" in a job like this...but its been done before so .."I'll get er done"...thanks for the info. One more question...what bell housings will work with this conversion?... thanks
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:11 AM

L69

hey, thanks a bunch! I talked to a guy locally who did the same conversion and he said his crank was already drilled for a pilot bearing? Was he just lucky and the factory installed the 4spd crank?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:33 PM

The automatic crank in mine was already machined for the pilot bushing but I have the 215 V8 of the early model F-85 Cutlass. That would slow your conversion down a bit if you had to have the crank machined. Hopefully you wouldn't have that P.I.T.A. to deal with.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:49 PM

pilot bearing

The adapter bearing mentioned by Musicars seems worth looking into. While your son can probably drill the crank accurately most people would end up with a little inaccuracy and a few thousandths can cause trans bearing and clutch problems. He can possibly shorten the input shaft out of the car more easily and accurately.